Junos
Highlighted
Junos

MX240 Boot up alarms

[ Edited ]
02.13.18   |  
‎02-13-2018 04:31 AM

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right area for this question and I apologise if it is not.

When booting up an MX240 it shows all the alarm lights as "on" until the button on the right hand side is depressed for about 5 seconds, then the alarm lights flash and then go out.

From the perspective that these systems will be installed in London and we reside about 140 Miles away we need a way to stop this happening. From the perspective of monitoring, if a reboot occurs for any reason, the whole monitoring screen will go red when, actually, there is no problem. We cannot expect the owners of the building to keep going and pressing a button if this issue occurs.

Is there a way around this issue please?

Thanks

9 REPLIES
Junos

Re: MX240 Boot up alarms

[ Edited ]
02.13.18   |  
‎02-13-2018 04:40 AM

Hi,

There are any alarms  post boot up?
-> show chassis alarms

/Karan Dhanak
# Please mark my solution as accepted if it helped, Kudos are appreciated as well.

Junos

02.13.18   |  
‎02-13-2018 05:04 AM

Can also connect to router to an External Alarm-Reporting Device via alarm relay contacts:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/task/installation/port-...

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/concept/craft-interface...

But post the completion of chassis reboot, do you see any alarms?

>show chassis alarms

/Karan Dhanak
# Please mark my solution as accepted if it helped, Kudos are appreciated as well.

Junos

02.13.18   |  
‎02-13-2018 05:47 AM

Hi Karand,

This appears to be a default of these MX240s, so there must be a command to override this when booted?

Thanks

Junos

[ Edited ]
02.13.18   |  
‎02-13-2018 07:30 AM

That is fine. Post the chassis reboot, do you see any chassis alarms (show chassis alarm or show system alarm?) If not, then that should fine.

You can disable/overide it by configuring: 

set chassis alarm integrated-services failure ignore.

/Karan Dhanak

Junos

02.13.18   |  
‎02-13-2018 07:59 AM

Just add-in more, I wouldn't suggest to ignore the failure by configuring "set chassis alarm integrated-services failure ignore".

in which you can miss out potential H/w failure.

"To deactivate red and yellow alarms, press the button labeled ACO/LT (for “alarm cutoff/lamp test”), which is located to the right of the alarm LEDs. Deactivating an alarm turns off both LEDs and deactivates the device attached to the corresponding alarm relay contact on the craft interface"

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/concept/craft-interface...

I tested my lab MX & it works fine. depress button for 5~second (TESTING Alarms), doesn't show up post reboot. 

(unless you have h/w condition)

/Karan Dhanak

Junos

02.14.18   |  
‎02-14-2018 08:07 AM

Hi Karan,

On my original post I stated why this was awkward.

The physical equipment will be located 140 miles away in London. If there is ever a need to reboot them I cannot just "pop downstairs" to press this button. So, I was asking if there was any way around this just for boot up?

Thanks

Clive

Junos

02.14.18   |  
‎02-14-2018 08:39 AM

Hi Clive,

For instance, post this MX reboot, there is PEM1 Not OK alarm. This will trigget RED alarm.

lab@re0> show chassis alarms
1 alarms currently active
Alarm time               Class  Description
2018-02-14 14:20:53 IST  Major  PEM 1 Not OK

lab@re0> show chassis craft-interface

Front Panel System LEDs:
Routing Engine    0    1
--------------------------
OK                *    *
Fail              .    .
Master            *    .

Front Panel Alarm Indicators:
-----------------------------
Red LED      *       <<<<<
Yellow LED   .
Major relay  *          <<<<<
Minor relay  .

Remotely, you can't clear craft interface alarm but say if PEM 1 is replaced, this alarm gets cleared.

/Karan Dhanak

Junos

02.14.18   |  
‎02-14-2018 12:27 PM

I think the follow-up question was whether or not the alarms clear once the system is completely online.

Junos

02.14.18   |  
‎02-14-2018 12:43 PM
It gets cleared unless you have major alarm in chassis.

If in your case..the alarm does not cleared.. issue the following click and let me know.

-> show chassis alarm

/Karan Dhanak