Junos OS

last person joined: 5 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  NOOB Leaning Junos: Having problems with physical connecting with SRX100

Posted 06-08-2015 10:33

Hi all,

I have a Juniper SRX100 which I purchased used for studying purposes.  I can't seem to connect to the device via SSH or IE.

1) SRX100

2) Windows laptop running Windows 7

3) Putty client

4) Connected from the laptop to the SRX via a USB to Serial Console Rollover Cable

5) Cable plugged into port #3

6) Disabled my wireless NIC so that there are no conflicts with ip addressing

7) When I do an IPCONFIG -> the only IP address that shows up is 192.168.94.1 / 192.168.198.1 (both for my VMnet)

😎 If I enable my wireless and do an IPCONFIG -> I get an IP address that is assigned to my cable provider

9) Can't ping 192.168.1.1 / Can't manage the device via the web gui

10) Link lights show no activity (regardless of port that I'm plugged in to)

What am I doing wrong?Hopefully I've provided enough information.

• 2.  RE: NOOB Leaning Junos: Having problems with physical connecting with SRX100

Posted 06-08-2015 16:14

The usb to serial cable would plug into the port on the far left labeled console.  This is a serial console port using 9600 8/N/1 setting in Putty.

to access via ssh or https use your laptop ethernet port and connect to eth0/1 to 0/7 on the SRX.  you should get an ip address in the 192.168.1.0/24 range and attempt the connection to 192.168.1.1 address.

• 3.  RE: NOOB Leaning Junos: Having problems with physical connecting with SRX100

Posted 06-09-2015 09:02

Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for replying. I had already done what you had suggested:

- connected my management machine to the SRX via the USB to serial cable

- used both http & https with my USB to serial cable and connect to eth0/1 to 0/7-> I tried each of the ports however I cannot successfully navigate to 192.168.1.1 via a webpage (page cannot be found)

- There are NO activity lights that show up on any of the seven port lights either when I plug the cable into the SRX.

- Can I use the USB to serial cable (cross over) to connect my laptop to eth0/1 to 0/7 to try to manage it via the web gui ?

- Do I have to use a regular ethernet patch cord?

I appreciate your time and effort thus far and am slightly embarrased that i can't get past the basic physical connection!

Regards,

CT

• 4.  RE: NOOB Leaning Junos: Having problems with physical connecting with SRX100
    Best Answer

Posted 06-09-2015 16:04

Your connections are not correct.

The USB serial cable connects to the port labled CONSOLE on the left side of the SRX100.  DO NOT CONNECT the USB Serial cable to the ethernet ports labled 0/0 to 0/7.

To use the USB serial connection you get CLI ONLY using a SERIAL software like Putty with the Serial button selected and enter the COM port number that your USB device installed in windows for example COM4

You can find the COM port number by looking at your windows device list after plugging in the USB cable.  When you use the cable be sure to use the same USB port each time or this number may change.

To access SSH and Web you use an ETHERNET cable from your laptop to port 0/1 to 0/7 on the SRX100.  These by default give a DHCP address in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet.  Confirm you have such an address then attempt to access the firewall on 192.168.1.1

• 5.  RE: NOOB Leaning Junos: Having problems with physical connecting with SRX100

Posted 06-12-2015 09:30

Hi Steve!

Thank you. My connectivity issue is resolved! I took the advice you provided above and it worked. I'm happily connected via the console and also via the ports. I'm currently making all kinds of mistakes on the SRX and learning from them (which is exactly what I wanted to do!!)

Thanks a bunch!

CT