Junos OS

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  No BNG test licence for vMX 19/20

Posted 07-25-2020 00:04

Hello,

Previously, up to version 18.X there was 10 users license comes with vMX image. Generally this is no licence mode called BASE which support 10 users with 1mb througoutput. In lab I never use more than 4 or 5 users. 🙂
    I've use this vMX a lot to test and safe experimenting in virtual lab.

Looks like now in 19 and 20 vMX releases (not evaluation, regular vMX release) the license is absent.

Tell me please? if you know, is this policy change and can I somehow obtain license to use vMX for testing purposes out of production?

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: No BNG test licence for vMX 19/20
    Best Answer

Posted 07-26-2020 19:38

Hello schade,

Please read the following the following information:

License Key Exchange — To use the licenses for vMX and vBNG features in Junos OS Release 19.2R1 and above, you need new license keys. Previous license keys are supported for previous Junos OS releases, but for Junos OS Release 19.2 and above releases, you need to migrate existing licenses (one-time activity). Contact Customer Care to exchange previous licenses. Note that you can choose either to use individual license keys for each device or to deploy Juniper Agile License Manager for more efficient management of licenses.

It is not mandatory to install the Agile License Manager to use vMX or vBNG licenses on Junos OS Release 19.2R1 and later releases. The Agile License Manager is a new option that provides more efficient management of licenses. You can continue to use individual license keys for each device if required.

Existing license keys are not supported on Junos OS Release 19.2R1 and later releases. Contact Customer Care for exchanging previous license keys.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/licensing/information-products/topic-collections/release-note/jd0e30.html#jd0e30

Such behavior is expected since license is not provided, you may reach Customer Care for more assistance on the license.

Also, I see that BNG for 10 subscribers is under the vMX Premium licenses: https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/licensing/topics/topic-map/vmx-licensing.html

If this resolve your question/issue please mark this response as "Accepted Solution"

Kudos is always appreciated!

• 3.  RE: No BNG test licence for vMX 19/20

Posted 08-08-2020 00:05

Thanks, it's a pity that juniper limit the scope of users that can learn their products.😪

• 4.  RE: No BNG test licence for vMX 19/20

Posted 08-08-2020 07:15

If the company you work for has a Juniper relationship contact your sales engineer.  They can often get you time limited or lab use licensing activations based on this relationship.