Junos OS

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  POE Controller Failure After Attempted Upgrade

Posted 07-10-2019 04:39

Is there a way to reinstall the POE firmware or restart the POE controller on an EX3400 switch?

I recently upgraded a couple of EX3400 switches to Junos version 15.1_x53_d590. After, I noticed there was a POE firmware update available. I tried to run it, but it failed. Now, neither of the switches have are providing any POE power. On one of the switches, the POE controller status shows "Device Fail" (see below). The other switch doesn't show anything when I run the "show poe controller" command. 

Thanks

------------------------------------------------

> show poe controller
    Controller Maximum  Power                 Guard       Management        Status                  Lldp
    index          power       consumption      band                                                                   Priority
    0                    740W         0.00W               0W                                  DEVICE FAIL           Disabled

#POE

• 2.  RE: POE Controller Failure After Attempted Upgrade

Posted 07-10-2019 04:45

Hi,

Can you share the previous version you were on and the upgrade path. Also share the output of "show chassis firmware detail"

Regards,

Pradeep.

• 3.  RE: POE Controller Failure After Attempted Upgrade

Posted 07-10-2019 06:18

Hi Pradeep,

Thanks for your response.

The previous version was 15.1X53-D57.3.

Below the output from "show chassis firmware detail".

This is from the switch that is showing no poe controller:

> show chassis firmware detail
    FPC 0
    Boot Firmware
    U-Boot U-Boot 2016.01-rc1 (May 23 2016 - 08:45:58 -0700) 1.2.0
    loader FreeBSD/armv6 U-Boot loader 1.2

This is from the switch that is showing the POE controller as "Device Fail":

> show chassis firmware detail
    FPC 0
    PoE firmware Unknown
    Boot Firmware
    U-Boot U-Boot 2016.01-rc1 (May 23 2016 - 08:45:58 -0700) 1.2.0
    loader FreeBSD/armv6 U-Boot loader 1.2

• 4.  RE: POE Controller Failure After Attempted Upgrade
    Best Answer

Posted 07-10-2019 08:26

Hi,

Please follow the below steps and check if the issue resolves. Make sure the device is in standalone mode but not a VC.

First power cycle the switch and then try to upgrade the poe using "request system firmware upgrade poe fpc-slot 0 file /usr/libdata/poe_latest.s19".

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Pradeep

Please Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too!!!

• 5.  RE: POE Controller Failure After Attempted Upgrade

Posted 07-10-2019 08:30

Thank you for the suggestion. I will need to take the switch out of production to try it, I should be able to do that tomorrow.

• 6.  RE: POE Controller Failure After Attempted Upgrade

Posted 07-11-2019 09:04

Success! Thank you very much for your help Pradeep!

• 7.  RE: POE Controller Failure After Attempted Upgrade

Posted 07-11-2019 09:16
    Glad that it worked. Thanks for the confirmation.

• 8.  RE: POE Controller Failure After Attempted Upgrade

Posted 01-01-2023 10:26
    In case someone has this problem on an EX2300-24P, I can tell you it works there too! I'm on 21.2R3-S2 and the PoC controller in fpc1 failed as I was upgrading it from master fpc0. Reboot didn't help, but the procedure above did the trick.

request system firmware upgrade poe fpc-slot 1 file /usr/libdata/poe_latest.s19

Note: the extension "file /usr/libdata/poe_latest.s19" is a hidden command so you need to copy and paste that or type it in as it is. Expanding the keyword "file" will not work either.

The file /usr/libdata/poe_latest.s19 points to /packages/mnt/jpfe-EX34xx/... so I was a bit worried at first if this was for the 3400 only, but it only took a minute and then all was fine! Thanks Pradeep!

• 9.  RE: POE Controller Failure After Attempted Upgrade

Posted 10-25-2023 10:29

As a book end to anyone else who finds this thread, Juniper has issued a KB article not to upgrade the PoE controller manually, but to instead let it be upgraded as part of standard JUNOS upgrades. 

https://supportportal.juniper.net/s/article/PoE-firmware-upgrade-may-lead-to-loss-of-PoE-functionality

If you have already upgraded your controller and it is borked, contact JTAC for assistance. If you don't have a support contract, you may be able to fix it by performing a USB format install.

https://supportportal.juniper.net/s/article/EX-How-to-format-install-EX2300s-and-EX3400s-via-USB?language=en_US

------------------------------
    MATT MORRIS
    ------------------------------