Junos OS

last person joined: 7 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  PPTP on MX80

Posted 07-09-2020 14:54

Hi all

I am trying to configure pptp on an MX80 but really struggling. 

Can anyone either :

A: Post a demo or working config

B: Point me to some reasonably intuitive documentation.

That would be great

Thanks

• 2.  RE: PPTP on MX80

Posted 07-09-2020 20:20

Hi , pptp is not supported in Junos . But you can use l2tp/pppoe/ipoe instead 

• 3.  RE: PPTP on MX80
    Best Answer

Posted 07-09-2020 21:53

Hi adgwytc,

Greetings, Besides not being supported PPTP VPN is a way less secure connection compared to L2TP which is what I would recommend you as an alternative, here you can find a sample of how to go about it:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/usage-guidelines/services-l2tp-minimum-configuration.html

In case you want to run this oven an IP sec tunnel using an SRX firewall:  https://forums.juniper.net/t5/SRX-Services-Gateway/L2TP-over-ipsec-passthrough/td-p/262379

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution" so we can help others too \:)/

Regards,

Lil Dexx
    JNCIE-ENT#863, 3X JNCIP-[SP-ENT-DC], 4X JNCIA [cloud-DevOps-Junos-Design], Champions Ingenius, SSYB

• 4.  RE: PPTP on MX80

Posted 07-09-2020 23:40

Thank you for the responses. Much appreciated.

I already have L2TP configured for IPv4 and IPv6 and both working as expected.

I was asked initially if I could configure PPPTP (Which I guess is now PPTP) for user who want a secure connection that are not DSL for if they require a VPN. I noticed some options via the services stanza but, as you rightly mentioned, I could only find documentation for SE and SRX hence my question.

I will go back to the customer and ask what they require exactly as there may have been some mis-communication or the wrong perception of what they actually want.