Junos OS

last person joined: 6 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Port Enable/Disable by time

Posted 07-14-2015 08:49

I have an access point at a remote site that I need to disable/enable based on time of day.  Basically, the local kids are using the GUEST network from the AP at night and are leaving a mess in the parking lot.  The AP is pretty dumb and it seems that a timed enable/disable would be my easiest route.  The AP does use POE from the switch, maybe that could be an option.  The switch is a EX-2200-48p running 12.3R6

I half started working on a python script from my computer to login via putty to run the commands but I see a lot of room for error with that idea.  Is there anything built into the switch that could do this?  Or do you have any better ideas?

Thanks,

Todd

• 2.  RE: Port Enable/Disable by time

Posted 07-14-2015 08:59

Hey Tod

does the Guest network have a staic password  ? could you not just put dynamic authentication on the Guest network from the controller ?  Guests normally sign in at reception and can be given their access token for the day ? 

give me a bit more info on the wifi controller if posible ? 

Rgds

Ian

• 3.  RE: Port Enable/Disable by time
    Best Answer

Posted 07-14-2015 09:54

Can you use apply-groups with 'when' option? e.g.

groups {

test {

when {  time 9 to 5; }

interfaces { ge-x/x/x { disable; }  }

}

}

http://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos12.3/topics/example/junos-cli-using-conditions-config-groups.html

• 4.  RE: Port Enable/Disable by time

Posted 07-14-2015 13:55

Ian,

No wireless controller, its some 'business' class single AP that was there before I started.  It's a small clinic up in the hills.  Per the Docs I can't put a password on the Guest SSID.  Basically I have been shot down all other routes and I don't want to drive all the way out there and 'hope' I find a time of day command in the unit.  The management port was turned off so I will need to use a serial cable to get in.

Anuparp,

That looks pretty much exactly like what I am trying to do.  I will be testing this on a sample switch to see if I can get the code right tonight.  

set groups TEST when time 1900 to 2359

set groups TEST when time 0000 to 0500

set groups TEST interfaces ge-0/0/2 disable

set apply-groups TEST

This would be pretty slick if it is really that easy.

Thanks, Todd

• 5.  RE: Port Enable/Disable by time

Posted 07-14-2015 14:21

FYI,

You can not apply two time ranges to a group.  Time is limited to 0-24 with no overlap, so for my scenario to work I went with the following code.  

set groups WIFI-OFF-AM when time 0000 to 0500

set groups WIFI-OFF-AM interfaces ge-0/0/2 disable

set groups WIFI-OFF-PM when time 1900 to 2359
    set groups WIFI-OFF-PM interfaces ge-0/0/2 disable

set apply-groups WIFI-OFF-AM

set apply-groups WIFI-OFF-PM

I tried a basic two minute outage test, which worked fine.  POE is still provided to the port but traffic is stopped in case anyone is curious.

Thanks for the help,

Todd