Junos
Highlighted
Junos

Problem upgrading Junos Space

‎02-13-2020 01:48 PM

I recently inherited a virtual environment including a Junos Space VM running 17.1 R1.7. I have little knowledge about the Space platform but I am proficient in all OS's and most hypervisors. I was asked to upgrade it to the latest version (19.4 R1.3) but for the life of me I can't get anything to apply to this installation. I did my homework on the acceptable upgrade path, but given the issues I'm experiencing, I felt it best to try upgrading to 17.2 R1.4 as the least common denominator to moving up a version. However, uploading the IMG through the web interface nets me an error about the version being incompatible with the version I am currently running. Based on the online docs, I checked the "/var/log/jboss/servers/server1/server.log" file and found this:

2020-02-13 18:01:25,551 WARN [net.juniper.jmp.cmp.resourceDistributionManager.ejb.softwareManager.SoftwareManagerBean] (ajp-space-00505698d6dc/a.b.c.d:8009-7) Application Deployer: Platform version '12.2' is not in list of versions supported by 'Platform'. Please make sure that minPlatformVersion in app-info.xml contains the version number for this platform.

I verified the hash on the IMG to ensure the download was valid. Network Director (3.1 R1.7) and Security Director (17.1 R1.514?) are also installed. The Network Management Platform listed in the applications list is 12.2 R1.88888. I wasn't sure if this was correct so I deployed a brand new (fresh install, nothing configured, trial license) 19.4 R1.3 virtual appliance and it lists the NMP as 12.2 R1.88888 also. My existing Space VM is showing as licensed (Commerical, JS-PLATFORM, Unlimited).

Any help in getting this VM upgraded to a more current version is appreciated. I couldn't find anything on Google related to this error or the mention of the 12.2 "mismatched" NMP version. Thanks.

-----
Christopher Mangiarelli | Principal Systems Engineer | Safety and Security Technologies | Comtech Telecommunications Corp. | www.comtechtel.com
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Junos

Re: Problem upgrading Junos Space

‎02-14-2020 06:53 AM

Hi Christopher,

Upgrading JS is not a funny experience. Sometimes It might be simplier to forget everything and just start a new fresh install (if you know your license key) and then import all devices again.

But before going this way, we might found a way to upgrade your instance.

First, on your inherited setup, go to menu NMP -> Administration -> Applications and list all apps and version printed please.

Regards

Highlighted
Junos

‎02-14-2020 07:44 AM

for whatever reason, we ended up re-installing Junos Space 19.3 on our VM last year. we were getting erro messages whenever attempting access to jobs. It worked well after wiping the old install 

for what it's worth, we had small trouble re-installing the licences ...

We tried numerous attempt  to paste the content of the license keys text file with no success. Denis finally found out that the blank  line AFTER the instructions of “removing lines above”  turned out to be the trick. After doing this, the file was read.

Michel

Michel Lapointe, GIRAT
Highlighted
Junos

‎02-14-2020 09:21 AM

Here is a snapshot of the installed applications and versions:

20200214_JMS_Old.png

I did try backing up the DB from the old Space VM and importing it on the new Space VM, but it errored out stating a difference in versions between the backup file and the version of Space currently running. Now I don't know if you can backup/restore between different versions or if there was too much of a difference between the versions, but I don't have the time for trial and error here. Given my lack of knowledge using this application, I wouldn't be the person to extract and re-import all (78) of the devices. Also, the license key is not readily available, nor can I find it in the GUI or CLI. The online KB points you to the original email which was sent when the device was registered but that is probably long gone.

Since the NMS version is listed exactly the same between my old Space VM and the brand new Space VM, I figured something else must be going on here. Here is what the new VM shows after a fresh install:

20200214_JMS_New.png

-----
Christopher Mangiarelli | Principal Systems Engineer | Safety and Security Technologies | Comtech Telecommunications Corp. | www.comtechtel.com
Feedback