Junos OS

last person joined: 6 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Problems setting up SRX320 to connect to the internet

Posted 12-04-2018 15:53

I have a basic office setup with one SRX320 device and several workstations that connect to it over LAN/Wifi connections.  I am switching this over from an older Sonicwall product.  Went through the basic configuration on the SRX320 but don't seem to be getting any connectivity with my ISP from the router or any workstation on the network.  Workstations are at least receiving correct DHCP assignments but in terms of getting any kind of reception from the ISP connection I'm not seeing/finding anything. 

This page has been great in trying to setup a basic network configuration...

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/security-nat-static.html

Though this I'm still getting no internet connection after completing.  Are there any tools/programs/debug methods beyond ping that I can try directly on the router?

** Additional note  ** if you are located in downtown Toronto, Canada and are able to visit my office I can pay you for this work.  Network engineer is not my full time job and I am only looking into this out of necessity.

#SRX320
    #Internet

• 2.  RE: Problems setting up SRX320 to connect to the internet

Posted 12-04-2018 17:36
    Please share configuration and a diagram which represents how devices are connected

• 3.  RE: Problems setting up SRX320 to connect to the internet

Posted 12-05-2018 12:33
      |   view attached

Thanks for the reply.  Attached you can find a diagram of the basic structure of our office network I borrowed from a Juniper page but the structure is exactly the same as ours.  I've also included the configuration I've been using with private information removed with "X"s.

Attachment(s)

txt
    juniper-srx320-config.txt   5 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Problems setting up SRX320 to connect to the internet
    Best Answer

Posted 12-05-2018 22:40

I do not see any ip address configured on the Internet facing interface (ge-0/0/4.0) and there is no default route configured towards ISP.

Please follow below mnetioned steps:

1. Configure ip address on ge-0/0/4

set interfaces ge-0/0/4 unit 0 family inet address xx.xx.xx.xx/xx

2. configure default route towards ISP ip

set routing-options static route 0.0.0.0/0 next-hop <xx.xx.xx.xx>

3. Commit the changes

commit and-quit

4. Check the reachability from SRX

ping <ISP ip / next-hop ip>

ping 8.8.8.8

traceroute 8.8.8.8 no-resolve

5. If reachability working fine from SRX, try to access internet from your LAN

• 5.  RE: Problems setting up SRX320 to connect to the internet

Posted 12-06-2018 13:27

Thanks Nellikka there is a good chance the issue was the default route it's something I never setup previously.  I'll give this a try once I manage to enough people to stop working in office.

• 6.  RE: Problems setting up SRX320 to connect to the internet

Posted 12-10-2018 08:39

Got it.  Works now!  Issue was with the static/default route.  I had initially setup the static route next hop to go to the static IP but this should be the ISP gateway.  Found this out after some sleuthing with a colleague.  Thanks Nellikka!