Highlighted
Junos

Recommended Junos BNG & MS-DPC

‎04-02-2018 10:38 AM

Hi,

I have the MX960 and the next hardware:

- MPC Type 2 3D

- MS-DPC

I need use BNG (BRAS) and CG-NAT on this one platform.

Early I tested 14.2R7.5 - all work fine.

The next I check that recommended Junos for BNG and MX Services on MS-DPC is - 15.1R6. I install this version, but on this release BNG+CGNAT dont work...

The next I install 16.1R6.7 but on download page message "does not include support for ... and Subscriber Management Services". On this version my config work...but message.

What software should I choose?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Junos

Re: Recommended Junos BNG & MS-DPC

‎04-02-2018 10:51 AM

Hi,

MS-DPC is considered EoL(end of life) module and is no longer supported from JUNOS 15.1 onwards for "JUNOS Subscriber Managment / BNG" use case. You should upgrade to MS-MPC unit for Junos Subscriber Managment service.

For BNG+GCNAT use, would suggest JUNOS 16.1R6-S2 & upcoming JUNOS 16.1R7.

/Karan Dhanak
Highlighted
Junos

[ Edited ]
‎04-02-2018 11:09 AM

Thank for you answer!

This old MS-DPC before use in MX with CGNAT only (no BNG). Temporarily need to do there BNG + CGNAT.

I dont understand why on https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB21476&smlogin=true :

MX Services on MS-DPC = Junos 15.1R6

MX Subscriber Management = Junos 15.1R6

And dont work this...

Tell me please what is last and stable Junos for BNG + CGNAT for MS-DPC?

Highlighted
Junos

‎04-02-2018 11:33 AM

Hi,

The KB content is pretty generic in nature.

The Next Gen, Subscriber Management (on MX) is supported from JUNOS 15.1R4 onwards (meaning 15.1R5, 15.1R6 and so on) and its subsequent services release (SR).

MX Services on MS-DPC from Junos 15.1R6 as per KB may traditionally fuction but its NOT recommened for B-RAS/CGNAT use.
Basically we've not qaulified its use for B-RAS/CGNAT.

Other than CGNAT, Service such as Static HTTP Redirect may work but at limited extend. As mentioned in my previous post, its considered EoL since late 2015 & it old h/w module that it lacks  the S/w enhancement introduced in JUNOS 15.1 onwards hence suggested you MS-MPC.

MS-DPC EoL:
https://www.juniper.net/support/eol/mserie_hw.html

/Karan Dhanak
Highlighted
Junos

‎04-02-2018 11:56 AM

I understand that MS-DPC is EOL.

I'm just asking for advice. And I use this solution at one's own risk. While no other choice.

Highlighted
Junos

‎04-02-2018 12:09 PM

I do know that you seek advice; i've no doubt in that.  Unfortunately no JunOS S/w tweak (on 15 onwards) can tune your requirement on MS-DPC. Even if it goes through a workaround (sort of hope), it would have its negative impact in terms of performance and that in the end, it not really worth hence suggest you the advice for switching MS-MPC.

/Karan Dhanak
Highlighted
Junos

‎04-02-2018 08:06 PM

Hi,

Karan has pretty much explained that BNG+DPC will not work in next-generation-release. Problem is that DPC is based on I-Chip and doesn't understand NG VBF flow. Traffic will be dropped with VBF lookup fail.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/information-products/topic-collections/release-not...

Workaround: Till you migrate to TRIO based chipset MS-MPC.

To overcome MS-DPC sending traffic to subscriber interface. Please use following workaround.

1. Subscriber traffic will match filter and redirected to CGNAT VRF.
2. Route in VRF point the traffic to SP interface. 
3. Subscriber IP will be translated to Public IP and traffic will go to internet via inet.0.
4. Traffic from Internet comes back go to inet.0, then via MS-DPC goes back to CGNAT VRF.
5. CGNAT mapping convert the Public IP to Subscriber IP. Rather than pointing the traffic back to inet.0 you need route to move the traffic back to core.
6. Traffic will again sent back to core. From there it should be looped back to BNG device. This time traffic will come to uplink with destination as subscriber IP rather than NATTED IP. This will resolve the MS-DPC limitation.

Couple of customer uses this workaround.

Regards,

Rahul

Feedback