Junos
Highlighted
Junos

Route updates takes ages after editing prefix-lists

‎01-18-2020 08:17 AM

Hi,

we use Junos v17.3R3.10 on MX240, when adding or removing routes from any prefix-list (which holds around only 30 routes), it takes around 20-40 minutes(!) for the BGP session to get updated and routes are removed or sent. This is not acceptable, we are practical unable to do any rapid updates with this.

When waiting for the route updates to appear(after commit) I see this process for a long time:

PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE C TIME WCPU COMMAND
4653 root 4 42 0 4007M 3073M kqread 3 154.9H 117.68% rpd

It feels like he is pushing the whole fulltable routes to his CPU and only when my removed routes are passing, they get removed. But this must be possible faster, right?

Thanks beforehand for any help 🙂

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Junos

Re: Route updates takes ages after editing prefix-lists

‎01-18-2020 08:38 PM

Hi Freemind,

Your RPD (routing protoocl daemon) CPU seems to be going high after the commit. RPD going high for a minute or so after any commit is not very unusual on scaled routers. However, if the RPD remains high for a long period of time thats means the changes that you are making are CPU intesnive which might cause delay in the route updates.

You will need to figure out what is cauing the RPD CPU to go high.

You can refer to the section "RPD consuming high CPU" in following KB

https://kb.juniper.net/KB26261

As shared in the KB article collecting the task accounting info during the commit time might help you to narrow down the problem.

PS: Please mark my response as solution if it answers your query, kudos are appreciated too!

Thanks
Vishal

Feedback