Junos OS

last person joined: 7 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  SI interface for L2TP and AE ports

Posted 06-21-2020 13:32

Hi all,

Is it possible to configure an SI interface on an aggreagted ethernet port for L2TP?

Downstream LAC connects to a switch on a VLAN and then 2 x 10g ports connect to the MX104 on ae0.

I cannot seem to find docs that say whether you can or not. I thought the SI interfaces was tied to a physical port and therefore would not work with an ae interface. Could you let me know if this is possible please?

Cheers

• 2.  RE: SI interface for L2TP and AE ports

Posted 06-21-2020 19:14

Hi 

As per my understanding, you are trying to configure the si on the MX routers.

If yes, per my knowledge I think we will not be able to do this configuration on the aggregated ethernet (AE) bundle as you would need a physical interface to carry the L2TP tunnel packets.

The inline service interface is a virtual physical service interface that resides on the Packet Forwarding Engine.
    This si interface, referred to as an anchor interface, makes it possible to provide L2TP services without a special services PIC. The inline service interface is supported only by MPCs on MX Series routers.  Four inline service interfaces are configurable per MPC-occupied chassis slot.

Link: Enabling Inline Service Interfaces  and also L2TP Minimum Configuration .

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Please mark "Accept as solution" if this answers your query. 

Kudos are appreciated too! 

Regards, 

Sharat Ainapur

• 3.  RE: SI interface for L2TP and AE ports

Posted 06-22-2020 14:55

Hi Sharat,

Apologies, I can accept the previous reply as a solution in a while, I just need to confirm the following please....

MX80 with the following hardware:

m Version Part number Serial number Description
    Chassis F3594 MX80
    Midplane REV 08 711-031594 ZL2078 MX80
    PEM 0 Rev 04 740-028288 VC03685 AC Power Entry Module
    PEM 1 Rev 04 740-028288 VC02561 AC Power Entry Module
    Routing Engine BUILTIN BUILTIN Routing Engine
    TFEB 0 BUILTIN BUILTIN Forwarding Engine Processor
    QXM 0 REV 05 711-028408 ZK0991 MPC QXM
    FPC 0 BUILTIN BUILTIN MPC BUILTIN
    MIC 0 BUILTIN BUILTIN 4x 10GE XFP
    PIC 0 BUILTIN BUILTIN 4x 10GE XFP
    Xcvr 0 REV 01 740-011613 M1402130132 XFP-10G-SR
    Xcvr 3 REV 01 740-011613 M1402130176 XFP-10G-SR
    FPC 1 BUILTIN BUILTIN MPC BUILTIN
    Fan Tray Fan Tray

And when trying to commit with an si interface I get the following error:

error: Service interface si-0/0/0 is not supported on MX80
    Service device pool lns
    error: configuration check-out failed

However, as I am sure you are aware, when configuring an L2TP group-profile this is a mandotory statement.

Can you let me know please if there is a card missing as the MPC is inbuilt?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: SI interface for L2TP and AE ports
    Best Answer

Posted 06-22-2020 18:57
    Hi adgwytc,

Greetings !

I believe the SI interfaces are on 3D series cards only.

* si-Services inline interface, configured on MX3D Series routers only.

* The following MPC2 slots are supported:

1. The MPC2-3D contains two lookup engines, each with two si interfaces.
    2. The MPC1-3D contains only one lookup engine and it hosts all four si interfaces.

For further details, refer the links:

1. https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/mlppp-mx-inline-service-pppoe-lns-subscriber-enabling.html#:~:text=The%20inline%20service%20(%20si%20)%20interface,MLPPP%20on%20the%20MX%20Series.
    2. https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/services-interfaces-naming-overview.html

Hope this helps.

Please mark "Accept as solution" if this answers your query.

Kudos are appreciated too!

Regards,

Sharat Ainapur

Juniper Business Use Only

• 5.  RE: SI interface for L2TP and AE ports

Posted 06-22-2020 19:07

Hello,

MX104 contains the same forwarding engine as MPC2 and si-* interfaces are fully supported:

On MX80 and MX104 routers, you can configure only four inline services physical interfaces as anchor interfaces for L2TP LNS sessions: si-1/0/0, si-1/1/0, si-1/2/0, and si-1/3/0. You cannot configure si-0/0/0 for this purpose on MX80 and MX104 routers.

Please try configuring si-1/*/0 and let us know if it works.

Best regards,

Sergii

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Please accept the solution if your problem is resolved Smiley Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE: SI interface for L2TP and AE ports

Posted 06-22-2020 20:46

Hello,

Short answer is no.

The long answer is if You are after redundancy for SI interfaces, You can use  1:1 Aggregated Service Interface (ASI) for L2TP

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/l2tp-lns-inline-service-interfaces.html#id-configuring-an-inline-service-interface-for-l2tp-lns

It is supported on MX80 as well

https://apps.juniper.net/feature-explorer/feature-info.html?fKey=7397&fn=1%3A1%20LNS%20stateful%20redundancy%20on%20aggregated%20inline%20service%20interfaces

However, ASI - or multiple SI - on MX80 (and MX104) does not make much sense since MX80 has a single forwarding chip, and SI/ASI is a feature of the forwarding chip as a whole, not a feature of individual port. In other words, if You have si-1/0/0 interface and ge-1/0/0 interface, then when ge-1/0/0 goes down, si-1/0/0 does not.

HTH

Thx

Alex