Junos OS

last person joined: 5 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Searching for a solution on this migration from Cisco!

Posted 08-11-2020 07:18

So, I'm migrating from Cisco to Juniper, but a couple of things in the Cisco conf I can't seem to find in Juniper.

Cisco has the remote-as ASNUMBER in it's BGP conf, but I can only find peer-as in Juniper during the setup of BGP.

Cisco has the ip access-group GROUPNAME in, for inter VLAN, but I can't find that either. What's the solution for that in Juniper?

Cheers

• 2.  RE: Searching for a solution on this migration from Cisco!
    Best Answer

Posted 08-11-2020 07:33

Hello,

@Tideman wrote:

Cisco has the remote-as ASNUMBER in it's BGP conf, but I can only find peer-as in Juniper during the setup of BGP.

CSCO "remote-as" knob is the same as JUNOS "peer-as"

@Tideman wrote:

Cisco has the ip access-group GROUPNAME in, for inter VLAN, but I can't find that either. What's the solution for that in Juniper?

Depends on where this access-group is applied. If on the subinterface, then JUNOS equivalent is

set interfaces xe-X/Y/Z unit W family inet filter input GROUPNAME

And You need to create this filter separately, of course.

HTH

Thx

Alex

• 3.  RE: Searching for a solution on this migration from Cisco!

Posted 08-12-2020 04:15

Found one more line I can't find a solution for...

permit udp addrgroup GROUPNAME any portgroup PORTGROUP

This is for the firewall part.

• 4.  RE: Searching for a solution on this migration from Cisco!

Posted 08-12-2020 04:28

Hello,

@Tideman wrote:

Found one more line I can't find a solution for...

permit udp addrgroup GROUPNAME any portgroup PORTGROUP

This is for the firewall part.

Please try this one:

set firewall family inet filter F1 term t1 from source-prefix-list GROUPNAME
    set firewall family inet filter F1 term t1 from protocol udp
    set firewall family inet filter F1 term t1 from destination-port [ BLaH1 BLAh2 ...] # You have to list all ports separately, JUNOS does not have a "portgroup" equivalent
    set firewall family inet filter F1 term t1 then accept

And You have to create a prefix-list GROUPNAME separately, of course.

HTH

Thx

Alex

• 5.  RE: Searching for a solution on this migration from Cisco!

Posted 08-12-2020 05:46

Yeah, I found the solution for prefix-list during the time since I wrote this.

Cheers

• 6.  RE: Searching for a solution on this migration from Cisco!

Posted 08-11-2020 14:17

If you're coming from Cisco (I did too), you'd be familiar with using ACLs and route-maps to apply additional settings.

The same concepts apply in Juniper of course, but the way they're implemented is different.

On a Junos router, you have a firewall filter (like an ACL) and route policies (like route-maps)

Firewall filters match 'interesting' traffic using conditions like src/dst IP, port, protocol, and others.

They are then used in the routing policy to achieve your goals (like AS-Path prepending, changing local preference, etc).

Here is what I recommend. Go to https://jlabs.juniper.net/vlabs/ and log in. Choose a suitable topology, and start it up.

Then, start configuring BGP, firewall filters, and route policies. There is more information in these links:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/routing-protocol-bgp-security-configuring.html

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/firewall-filter-ex-series-cli.html

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/partners/ibm/junos11.4-oemlitedocs/config-guide-routing-policy.pdf