Junos OS

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Tunnel service for GRE and fpc,pic properties

Posted 09-23-2017 08:22

Hello everyone,

I have some very  silly questions :

1)When enabling tunnel service for GRE, we specify fpc pic . Let say we specify fpc pic where none of the ports are up, will GRE still work?

2) Let say tunnel src is the ip on port 1/1/1.0 and tunnel destination ip is reachable via port 2/2/2.0   However , for tunnel service for GRE we specify  fpc pic as 3 2 i.e none of the ports ( 1/1/1.0 and 2/2/2.0 above are on this fpc pic.

Will it be still a valid config?  

3) Does tunnel source  IP and destination IP have any bearing on the fpc pic we use for Tunnel service for GRE?

If yes, what is it?

Thanks and have a nice weekend!!

• 2.  RE: Tunnel service for GRE and fpc,pic properties
    Best Answer

Posted 09-23-2017 11:12

@sarahr202 wrote:

1)When enabling tunnel service for GRE, we specify fpc pic . Let say we specify fpc pic where none of the ports are up, will GRE still work?

Answer: Yes, It will still work

2) Let say tunnel src is the ip on port 1/1/1.0 and tunnel destination ip is reachable via port 2/2/2.0   However , for tunnel service for GRE we specify  fpc pic as 3 2 i.e none of the ports ( 1/1/1.0 and 2/2/2.0 above are on this fpc pic.

Will it be still a valid config?  

Answer:- Yes, It's a valid config just make sure that you have reachability but this is not a recommended/Best practice.

3) Does tunnel source  IP and destination IP have any bearing on the fpc pic we use for Tunnel service for GRE?

If yes, what is it?

Answer: Didn't understand this but it's always a best practice to use (whenever possible) the PFE on the MPC line card hosting the port that is the egress or ingress point for handling the data so that data do not have to jump the fabric to get to the PFE that will handle the encapsulation/decapsulation of the packet.

HTH