Junos OS

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Upgrade and Downgrade Support Policy for Junos OS Releases

Posted 04-15-2015 12:15

Hi,

The following excerpt is from Junos release notes.

"Support for upgrades and downgrades that span more than three Junos OS releases at a time is not provided, except for releases that are designated as Extended End-of-Life (EEOL) releases. EEOL releases provide direct upgrade and downgrade paths—you can upgrade directly from one EEOL release to the next EEOL release even though EEOL
    releases generally occur in increments beyond three releases.

You can upgrade or downgrade to the EEOL release that occurs directly before or after the currently installed EEOL release, or to two EEOL releases before or after. For example, Junos OS Releases 10.0, 10.4, and 11.4 are EEOL releases. You can upgrade from Junos OS Release 10.0 to Release 10.4 or even from Junos OS Release 10.0 to Release 11.4.
    However, you cannot upgrade directly from a non-EEOL release that is more than three releases ahead or behind. For example, you cannot directly upgrade from Junos OS Release 10.3 (a non-EEOL release) to Junos OS Release 11.4 or directly downgrade from Junos OS Release 11.4 to Junos OS Release 10.3.

To upgrade or downgrade from a non-EEOL release to a release more than three releases before or after, first upgrade to the next EEOL release and then upgrade or downgrade from that EEOL release to your target release.

For more information on EEOL releases and to review a list of EEOL releases, see
    http://www.juniper.net/support/eol/junos.html."

Here are my questions, could any experts help me to understand,

1. The EEOL releases are 8.1, 8.5, 9.3, 10.0, 10.4, 11.4, 12.1X44, 12.1X46, 12.3, 12.3X48, 13.3, 14.1 and 14.2 in Junos dates and milestones table. How the EEOL releases are selected and definded?

2. How do I upgrade Junos from 10.1 to 14.2?

3. How do I upgrade Junos from 10.1 to 12.2?

4. If a router is running Junos 10.1 with redundant RE and will be upgraded to 14.2 by USB install media, in this way, is the policy limitation still there?

Thank you.

Ernest Lin

• 2.  RE: Upgrade and Downgrade Support Policy for Junos OS Releases

Posted 04-15-2015 12:53

1: http://www.juniper.net/support/eol/990833.pdf

2. You must uprade to release 11.4  (you need 1G of flash from 10.X and upwards) then go to 12.3 and after that 14.x

3 in the same steps as above 11.4 -->12.x

4. Yes an install from usb is a fresh install keep in mind that you need to backup your config, the system will with booting see the usb drive as "bootmedia" and will start a fresh and clean install on the RE. NO you can install the latest version directly from a usb drive.

Hope this helps a bit

• 3.  RE: Upgrade and Downgrade Support Policy for Junos OS Releases

Posted 04-15-2015 22:35

Hi Marc,

Would you explain why I must do these steps? why I cannot upgrade to 10.4 then go to 14.2?

Thanks.

Ernest Lin

• 4.  RE: Upgrade and Downgrade Support Policy for Junos OS Releases
    Best Answer

Posted 04-15-2015 23:16

You are already running 10.4 right ? You need to upgrade with intermedite steps, the reason is that are have been changed a lot. The exact reason I'm unable to tell you. Juniper always advices to use intermediate steps. You can do it in one step but that is with a reinstall. But you need to check your config on for hand with a 14.2 installed system. I cannot garantee that you running config will work directly under 14.2

• 5.  RE: Upgrade and Downgrade Support Policy for Junos OS Releases

Posted 04-16-2015 07:54
    You can go directly to 14.2 from 10.4 as they both are EEOL. Please use "validate" option to make sure the current configuration is good with 14.2.