Junos OS

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  VLANs and VTP (Juniper)

Posted 01-11-2018 01:16

Hi,

Couple of very quick questions:

1: Is there a Juniper equivalent of Cisco's VTP (Virtual Trunking Protocol) please? Actually, there is MVRP..... however, all the Juniper documentation points to this being on switch based systems whereas we have MX routers acting as LNS and Core routers in an ISP environment. Is MVRP still okay to use on these routers please?

2: Is it possible to create extra VLANs etc to interfaces without having to remove the current configuration? For example, I have the addressing assigned to unit 0 and want to create VLANs on the same interface. Would I have to remove the unit 0 configuration first?

Thanks

• 2.  RE: VLANs and VTP (Juniper)
    Best Answer

Posted 01-11-2018 02:18

Please ignore the first question as we have resolved that issue. As we will only have 2 core routers we can manually add the VLANs. It would be a different matter if we had , say, 100......

I'm sure I can test the second question anyway but just thought I would ask.... 🙂

I will close this topic now as resolved.

Thanks

• 3.  RE: VLANs and VTP (Juniper)

Posted 01-11-2018 02:41

You can add more units and vlans to existing interfaces on the MX with no effect on the current ones.

This is a common practice in service providers on a shared handoff port.  Each new service being provisioned to a new vlan and unit passing between the devices done live during production without affecting other customers.