Junos
Junos

VPLS Mesh groups

a week ago

Hi guys,

I was trying to understand how is working the VPLS Mesh groups and so far I understood it can be created between PE routers up to 16 groups using BGP as signaling protocol. If we use LDP as signaling protocol just one mesh group can be created.

I'm guessing that VPLS mesh groups are created between PE devices and not between CE devices.

About the traffic forwrding I would like to know how one PE router inside of VPLS mesh group treat the traffic. Is there a PE inone mesh group than can send traffic between diffeent mesh groups?

Many thanks, 

3 REPLIES 3
Junos

Re: VPLS Mesh groups

a week ago

Hello,

@alfredo.bosca wrote:

Hi guys,

I was trying to understand how is working the VPLS Mesh groups and so far I understood it can be created between PE routers up to 16 groups using BGP as signaling protocol. If we use LDP as signaling protocol just one mesh group can be created.

It's other way around: 1 mesh-group for BGP VPLS and up to 14 user-defined VPLS mesh-groups (+2 default ones) for LDP VPLS, this is for MX

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/vpn-pe-router-mesh-groups-for-vpls-...

@alfredo.bosca wrote:

I'm guessing that VPLS mesh groups are created between PE devices and not between CE devices.

Correct, but You don't have to guess. Please see RFC 4762 section 10.1.1 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4762#section-10.1.1, or

read my 2014 post

https://forums.juniper.net/t5/Routing/Use-of-VPLS-mesh-group/m-p/250126/highlight/true#M11521

HTH

Thx

Alex

Please ask Your Juniper account team about Juniper Professional Services offerings.
Juniper PS can design, test & build the network/part of the network as per Your requirements

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Accept as Solution = cool !
Accept as Solution+Kudo = You are a Star !
Junos

a week ago

Thanks,

but of my concerns is about the traffic. I'd like to understand how act any PE inside in a mesh group againt BUM traffic.

For example. 

Let say we have 4 PE inside same VPLS mesh group. 

"If PEB receive unicast traffic from PE-A; if the matching entry in its VPLS routing table showed the destination was connected to PE-D...PEB it should discard this unicast traffic, right? Like is a Layer2 segment PEB should send directly to PED to avoid suboptimal forwarding."

What do you think?

Another question:

How will act a PE inside of VPL mesh group when receive broadcast or multicast traffic originated from unknown origin?

Attachments

Junos

a week ago

Hello,

@alfredo.bosca wrote:

Thanks,

but of my concerns is about the traffic. I'd like to understand how act any PE inside in a mesh group againt BUM traffic.

For example. 

Let say we have 4 PE inside same VPLS mesh group. 

"If PEB receive unicast traffic from PE-A; if the matching entry in its VPLS routing table showed the destination was connected to PE-D...PEB it should discard this unicast traffic, right? Like is a Layer2 segment PEB should send directly to PED to avoid suboptimal forwarding."

What do you think?

If PE-B is configured such that PE-A and PE-D are in the same mesh-group, default or custom, then no BUM nor unicast traffic is sent towards PE-D, PE-B discards it. 

If PE-B is configured such that PE-A and PE-D are in different mesh-groups then BUM and unicast traffic is sent towards PE-D, PE-B forwards it. 

@alfredo.bosca wrote:

Another question:

How will act a PE inside of VPL mesh group when receive broadcast or multicast traffic originated from unknown origin?

Not sure if I follow.

If this question is about Unknown Unicast (src.MAC is not known) then see my previous answer.

If this qestion is about MPLS-encapsulated VPLS traffic coming into a given VPLS PE with unknown label, then this VPLS PE discards it.

If this question is about exotic technology like VPLS over GRE, and GRE-encapsulated VPLS traffic comes into a given VPLS PE with unknown GRE src.IP, then this VPLS PE discards it as well.

HTH

Thx

Alex 

Please ask Your Juniper account team about Juniper Professional Services offerings.
Juniper PS can design, test & build the network/part of the network as per Your requirements

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Accept as Solution = cool !
Accept as Solution+Kudo = You are a Star !