Junos
Highlighted
Junos

VRRP ipv6 and warning message

‎02-01-2010 03:23 AM

Hello,

I configured an ipv6 vrrp w/o router advertisement, and I have the following warning when I commit :

warning: 'router-advertisement' is not configured for interface ae0.10
configuration check succeeds

The documentation is not quite clear wether the configuration of router advertisements is mandatory or not. If it is not, then I don't see the point of these warnings. If it is, then there must be an error instead of a warning.

If anyone could clarify this point :-)

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Junos

Re: VRRP ipv6 and warning message

‎05-02-2012 12:12 AM

did you find out why this message appeared?

Highlighted
Junos

[ Edited ]
‎11-01-2018 02:09 AM

Hi Christien

With IPv6 there are router solicitation and router advertisement messages, these are used for IPv6 auto-configuration and routing. When enabled, messages are sent by the router periodically and in response to solicitations. A host uses the information to learn the prefixes and parameters for the local network.

For VRRP for IPv6, you must configure IPv6 router advertisements for the interface on which VRRP is configured to send IPv6 router advertisements for the VRRP group. You also want to make sure only the master of the vrrp-inet6-group responds to router solicitation messages to avoid traffic being directed to the backup router as the master is the active forwarder .  To do this use the command below

set protocols router-advertisement interface ae0.10 virtual-router-only

To change the VRRP advertisement interval itself use the below command (for vrrp default is 1s)

set interfaces ae0.10 family inet6 address <IPv6-prefix> vrrp-inet6-group <group-ID> inet6-advertise-interval <interval in milliseconds>

Regards

P.S.I.Basondole

Highlighted
Junos

‎12-31-2019 03:39 PM

Hello Christian, Did the command suggested by "basondolepaul" worked ?