Junos OS

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  Verify a link between Junos and Ixia

Posted 03-07-2020 21:45

Hi,

A newbie question: How can I verify the link between a JUNOS device and an Ixia traffic generator?

I can see the Junos interface is up, but not sure if Ixia interface is also connected-and-up?
    LLDP neighbor discovery would not work in this case since Ixia is not a Junos device, right?

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Verify a link between Junos and Ixia

Posted 03-07-2020 21:56

Hi 

Try shutting down the link on the Junos and it will get shut down on the ixia side as well.  This way a physical connectivity test can be done.

You can enable ping and arp or lacp on the ixia side and then do a monitor traffic interface on the junos side to verify the link state.

Hope this helps

• 3.  RE: Verify a link between Junos and Ixia

Posted 03-09-2020 03:09

lldp is a standard so if the ixia supports then the Junos device will see it.

• 4.  RE: Verify a link between Junos and Ixia
    Best Answer

Posted 03-09-2020 11:30

Hello PL2,

first, we are all learning here, newbies in a way. second you can use different ways to check if your IXIA is properly connected to you Junos device.

Checking L1 first is a must, ensure that bringing down or removing links from one end (e.g. Junos Device) should bring the other device's interface down (e.g. IXIA) and viceversa. 

In the IXIA IxNetwork application you will need to add the port, linecard and all that and you will be able to manage the link and see if it shows up. or green/yellow for me, most of the times.

Click on 'Add Ports' + 'Add Chassis' + select the card and port number and choose to 'add port'.

LLDP will work with Junos default configuration, you'll see under 'protocols lldp' hierarchy the 'interfaces all' statement and that should do it here, for the IXIA I foung this video for you:

IxNetwork LLDP - Classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS1p0uhKAaE

That should help you ensure the LLDP is properly working.

Then just look how to add a flow and have lots of fun flooding traffic to your network. 🙂

Cheers!

Benjamin