Junos
Junos

Which Junos for MX204 after 18.1?

‎06-25-2019 06:10 AM

I need to use 1G speeds on PIC1 in MX204 and this feature was introduced in 18.1 but I don't know which version is stable enough to run on this device in ISP environment mainly as BGP router. In this scenario stable and reliability comes before new functions.

JTAC recommended release for this hardware is still old 17.4 which doesn't support 1G interface feature.

Someone has a tip about this cause I don't want to go through all the release notes for 18.X Junos and Junos SR releases?

What newer versions do you run on your MX204 hardware?

I just know I don't want to be a beta tester so I will probably skip 19.1 for now

3 REPLIES 3
Junos

Re: Which Junos for MX204 after 18.1?

‎06-25-2019 06:43 AM

Very tricky question. As of now, we don't have any "golden" release apart from the junos we suggest in 

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB21476

Release notes sometimes are too verbose to go through. You have the option of Juniper PIIR through your account team. Basically they evaluate the junos code based on the protocol/services you are using, they will evaluate if it is exposed to any bug/PR/limitaion. PIIR can reduce your chance of hitting serious issues, however it's not 100% guarantee. You also have the option of Juniper Proof of Concept testing.

As a JTAC engineer, I assisted probably 10 customers implementing 1G on MX204 since last year. They are ALL happy with this function itself. I've never heard any complains from customer since deployment. From what I recall, they have 18.4R1.8, 18.3R1-S3. But I can't comment on whether they have any other reliability or stability issue 

Mengzhe Hu
JNCIE x 3 (SP DC ENT)
Junos

‎06-25-2019 07:03 AM

Thanks for this quick and elaborate reply.

You wrote that you worked with 1G feature in MX204 with few customers. Do you know if they tried using SFP-T as in modules with RJ45 in those scenarios?

I will still wait with this upgrade as someone maybe has some other insight into this case.

Highlighted
Junos

‎06-25-2019 07:10 AM

Good that you bring up this point. It is support, but from 18.3, you will have less options to choose from

https://apps.juniper.net/hct/product/#prd=MX204

SFP-1GE-T

GE SFP, 1000BASE-T Plug-in, Module
Introduced Release(s):
Junos OS 18.3R1

Mengzhe Hu
JNCIE x 3 (SP DC ENT)