Junos OS

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  bridge domain vs. vlan

Posted 03-02-2011 01:54

Hello,

I'm looking for a clear comparison beween MX bridge domains and EX VLAN and MX Virtual Switches.

At the first view both looks similar, but at the second view I see that it is possible to have multiple VLANs inside one bridge domain and it is possible to have multiple bridge domains inside one virtual switch.

Is there a document which discribes this?

Thanks in advance

Joern

• 2.  RE: bridge domain vs. vlan

Posted 03-04-2011 19:11

They're the same thing.

A vitual-switch is just a type of routing-instance that acts like a switch instead of a router.

• 3.  RE: bridge domain vs. vlan

Posted 03-07-2011 03:24

Hello Doug,

thanks for your response.

But if they are the same, why can I configure multiple vlan-id's with the vlan-id-list statement in one single brdige domain?

And why can I configure the mac learning behavior IVL and SVL? SVL means Single learning domain shared by all VLANs in a brdige Domain.

So it looks for me a little bit that I can have multiple VLANS in one bridge Domain and Multiple Bridge Domain in a Virtaul Switch.

Thanks

Joern

• 4.  RE: bridge domain vs. vlan
    Best Answer

Posted 03-08-2011 11:10

It's just going back to networking basics.  Just because you have one bridge domain doesn't mean you're limited to a single vlan-id.  For example a single bridge domain can support over 4000 vlan-ids.  Feel free to try it on more basic hardware such as the EX4200 and a J-Series router.

• 5.  RE: bridge domain vs. vlan

Posted 06-17-2011 02:39

What are the advantages of having bridge domain as configuration constructs, as opposed to just mapping vlans with logical interfaces?