Junos OS

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  delete / default interface

Posted 06-01-2015 00:22

Hi,

i am very new to Juniper technology; want to find out similar command of cisco " default interface xxx" in juniper.

i found & used "delete interface xxx" command in Juniper SRX. but observed after entering this command & commit;

i lost same interface in show configuration. i am completely unable to view this interface so can't configure it. so please let me know now how can i come back my interface in configuration & how to make interface default.

S@ndy

• 2.  RE: delete / default interface

Posted 06-01-2015 02:26

Hi,

you have to understand that in JUNOS the configuration is just a text file (internally an XML file) and you can put anything into the configuration or delete it independent of which interfaces are physically present. You can view the physical interfaces using "show interfaces terse"

You can simple configure the interface using the "set interfaces <ifname> ..." command to generate the relevant part in the configuration. 

Cheers,

Carsten

• 3.  RE: delete / default interface

Posted 06-01-2015 02:42

Carsten,

Thanks for reply....

but even this interface is not shown in "show interfaces terse" as well as any other show command (rest are shown)

and when i tried to use "set interface" command ; after putting "set interface ?" in context list of interfaces my interface is not shown. even i put 'set interface <x/x/x>'  command is not accepted.

i rolled back configuration; but this is not solution.

as well as please let me know how to make interface default in junos.

S@ndy.

• 4.  RE: delete / default interface
    Best Answer

Posted 06-01-2015 03:56

When you delete the interface name in Junos this removes every reference to the interface as you have seen.  This is used when you have a lot of interfaces that you simply don't use on a device and you don't want them to show up at all in any of the review and monitoring commands as you have seen.

You can restore the interface by simply typing the full name instead of using autocomplete.

To remove all configuration from an interface but keep the interface itself listed you can delete from the interface down in the heirarchy.

edit interface ge-0/0/3

delete

Junos is like a directory structure and edit works like change directory to put you at a certain level.  When you issue the delete at this lower level it keeps the interface ge-0/0/3 but removes all ocnfiguration assigned to that interface.

• 5.  RE: delete / default interface

Posted 06-02-2015 02:24

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much.........

it worked exactly what u mentioned....

:-- S@ndy