Junos OS

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  ex4550

Posted 07-10-2020 09:34

complete noob here coming from the cisco world. can an ex4550 with the 2 port 40g sfp insert use a 40g breakout cable (4x10g) in this system? if so how do i channelize this? i have read enough to realize i need to do this and can do it in cisco in seconds but need help with junos. any help would be appreciated. 

• 2.  RE: ex4550

Posted 07-10-2020 09:56

Hi Blueman,

Have you tried 

edit chassis fpc fpc-slot pic pic-slot]
    user@switch# set port port-number channel-speed speed

and set the speed 10g to have the port channelized to 10g channels ?

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/switches-interface-port.html

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution."

• 3.  RE: ex4550

Posted 07-10-2020 11:15

the question i have is about the port number. in my system the 40g qsfp is et-0/1/1

what port number would i use?  et-0/1/1:0 -3 or something else? cant seem to make this work

• 4.  RE: ex4550

Posted 07-10-2020 11:21

when i do this i get unsupported platform (ex4550-32t) 

• 5.  RE: ex4550

Posted 07-10-2020 11:25

junipererror.png

• 6.  RE: ex4550

Posted 07-10-2020 11:42

Hi Blueman,

Thanks for the quick response.

Can you please find the below details, this might helps in EX series devices.

Channelize Block of Ports or Individual Port

You can either configure a port as a single interface (non channelized interface) or partition the port into
    smaller data channels or multiple interfaces (channelized interfaces). On switches platform, you can
    channelize an individual port or block of ports or quad ports based on the platform.

EX4550.PNGEX45501.PNG

Interface Naming Conventions
    Each interface name includes a unique identifier and follows a naming convention. When you configure
    the interface, use the interface name. You can either configure a port as a single interface (non channelized
    interface) or partition the port into smaller data channels or multiple interfaces (channelized interfaces).
    When multiple interfaces are supported on a physical port, you use the colon (:) notation in the interface
    naming conventions as a delimiter to differentiate the multiple interfaces on a physical port. In the interface
    naming convention, xe-x/y/z:channel:

• x refers to the FPC slot number.
    • y refers to the PIC slot number.
    • z refers to the physical port number.
    • channel refers to the number of channelized interfaces.

When the 40-Gigabit Ethernetinterfaces (et-fpc/pic/port) are channelized as 10-Gigabit Ethernetinterfaces,
    the interface appears in the xe-fpc/pic/port:channel format, and channel is a value of 0 through 3.

Please mark "Accepted Solution" if this helps you solve your query. Kudos are always appreciated.

Thanks 

Suraj

• 7.  RE: ex4550

Posted 07-10-2020 12:06

so in my case would this be "set chassis fpc 0 pic 1 port 1:0  channel-speed 10g  ?

the port i want to channelize is et-0/1/1 

• 8.  RE: ex4550

Posted 07-10-2020 12:35

Hi Blueman,

from the output you provided the platform is not supporting this configuration knob , i checked and found that Channelizing 40-Gigabit Ethernet QSFP+ interfaces is supported by the below list among which is not your switch model

https://apps.juniper.net/feature-explorer/feature-info.html?fKey=6132&fn=Channelizing%2040-Gigabit%20Ethernet%20QSFP+%20interfaces

the above link is feature explorer to know the supportability of both software and hardware to the features 

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution."

• 9.  RE: ex4550

Posted 07-11-2020 05:46

Hi blueman,

Yes, this should be the general format for channelization but however, this is unsupported on the device that you are currently trying to run this on.

Hope this helps 🙂

Please mark "Accepted Solution" if this helps you solve your query. Kudos are always appreciated!

• 10.  RE: ex4550

Posted 07-10-2020 10:52

Hi Blueman,

Greetings,

Channelized interfaces enable you to configure a number of individual channels that subdivide the bandwidth of a larger interface and minimize the number of Physical Interface Cards (PICs) that an installation requires

Channelized Interfaces

Depending on the device and software package, 40-Gbps QSFP+ ports can be configured to operate as the following types of interfaces:

10-Gigabit Ethernet interfaces (xe)

40-Gigabit Ethernet interfaces (et and xle)

40-Gigabit data plane uplink interfaces (fte)

When an et port is channelized to four xe ports, a colon is used to signify the four separate channels. For example, on a QFX3500 standalone switch with port 2 on PIC 1 configured as four 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports, the interface names are xe-0/1/2:0, xe-0/1/2:1, xe-0/1/2:2, and xe-0/1/2:3

Syntax

channelization;

Hierarchy Level

[edit chassis fpc slot-number pic pic-number]

To configure a PIC’s port speed:

1. Navigate to the [edit chassis] hierarchy level.
    2. Enter the port-speed statement at the [edit chassis fpc slot-number pic pic-number port port-number] hierarchy level.

[edit chassis]
    user@host# set fpc fpc-slot pic pic-number port port-number port-speed ;

3.Specify the port speed that needs to be configured. You can use one of the following speed attributes for this configuration.

[edit chassis]
    user@host# set fpc fpc-slot pic pic-number port port-number port speed 10G;
    user@host# set fpc fpc-slot pic pic-number port port-number port speed 40G;
    user@host# set fpc fpc-slot pic pic-number port port-number port speed 100G;

Configuring Rate Selectability 

Please mark "Accepted Solution" if this helps you solve your query. Kudos are always appreciated.

Thanks 

Suraj

• 11.  RE: ex4550
    Best Answer

Posted 07-10-2020 13:31

Hi blueman

EX4550 does not support interface channelization.

These links provide a list of switches where channelizing 40g interfaces are supported.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/qfx3500-3600-standalone-channel-configuring.html

If this solves your problem, please mark this post as "Accepted Solution" so we can help others too \:)/

Regards,

Lil Dexx
    JNCIE-ENT#863, 3X JNCIP-[SP-ENT-DC], 4X JNCIA [cloud-DevOps-Junos-Design], Champions Ingenius, SSYB