Junos
Highlighted
Junos

logical unit is not allowed on aggregated links

‎03-10-2020 11:20 PM

Why does this config fail? How do I get rid of errors?  Thanks

@juniper-ptx1k# set interfaces et-0/0/58 unit 0 family inet address 192.168.10.2/32    

[edit]
root@juniper-ptx1k# commit 
[edit interfaces et-0/0/58]
  'unit 0'
     logical unit is not allowed on aggregated links
error: configuration check-out failed

[edit]
root@juniper-ptx1k# 

root@juniper-ptx1k# show interfaces         
apply-groups [ FILTERS-FOR-JFLOW AE-INTERFACES-TO-SPINE INTERFACES-TO-CORE-MPE INTERFACES-TO-BFB-CORE ];
et-0/0/58 {
    unit 0 {
        family inet {
            address 192.168.10.2/32;
        }
    }
}
ae35 {
    mtu 2500;
}
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Junos
Solution
Accepted by topic author PL2
‎03-11-2020 11:51 PM

Re: logical unit is not allowed on aggregated links

‎03-10-2020 11:33 PM

The error indicates that Interface et-0/0/58 is a member of an AE (Aggregated Ethernet) bundle and logical unit  is not allowed on member links / physical interfaces. Please check the group configuration to check AE inteface details. 

show configuration groups

show interfaces terse | match ae

Thanks,
Nellikka
JNCIE x3 (SEC #321; SP #2839; ENT #790)
Please Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated too!!!
Highlighted
Junos

‎03-11-2020 12:07 AM

Or use "show configuration interfaces | display inheritance" ...  Ulf

--
If this worked for you please flag my post as an 'Accepted Solution' so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.
Highlighted
Junos

‎03-11-2020 12:48 AM

Thanks for the response. What is the 'unit' in the command: set interfaces et-x/x/x unit 0 family inet address x.x.x.x/24? I didn't really have a firm grasp of what the unit is.

Highlighted
Junos

‎03-11-2020 12:55 AM

think subinterface or logical interface (as opposed to physical interface / port)

--
If this worked for you please flag my post as an 'Accepted Solution' so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.
Highlighted
Junos

‎03-11-2020 06:59 AM

Hi PL2, 

I hope you are doing great!

If i am not wrong there used to be a KB for this error, but couldn't find it, anyways you can check this link which shows an AE configuration side to side.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/aggregated-ethernet-interfaces-la...

In the other hand we shouldn't configure unit 0 on child interfaces of the AE, because the only configuration allow is:

[edit interfaces interface-name]
user@host# set (fastether-options | gigether-options) 802.3ad aex

Juniper devices will come with unit 0 configure in all ports, so every time you create a bundle you will need to go and delete unit 0.

Pablo
Highlighted
Junos

‎03-11-2020 07:07 AM

Hi PL2,

You have so many group applied on this interface:

apply-groups [ FILTERS-FOR-JFLOW AE-INTERFACES-TO-SPINE INTERFACES-TO-CORE-MPE INTERFACES-TO-BFB-CORE ];

I believe one of the group is making this part of a AE bundle, probably AE-INTERFACES-TO-SPINE, once an interface is part of AE bundle you can't apply unit config to it.

In order to see the effective configuration (interface level configuration + configuration applied via groups) you can use following command:

"show configuration interface et-0/0/58 | display inheritance no-comment"

In order to confirm which group is applying which part of the config use following command:

"show configuration interface et-0/0/58 | display inheritance "

If you don't want to use the interface as part of AE bundle remove that group from interface config.

PS: Please accept my response as solution if it answers your query, kudos are appreciated too!

Thanks

Vishal