Junos OS

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  mfr bundle differential delay alarms

Posted 09-08-2008 06:57

Can someone explain the significance of yellow differential delay alarms?  i have read the docs, and they give to references for setting the yellow/red thresholds.   the default for a red alarm is 60ms, can someone explain why?

thanks

stine

#mfr
    #bundle

• 2.  RE: mfr bundle differential delay alarms

Posted 09-08-2008 10:10

Hi Stine,

When a particular constituent link in a bundle has a disproportionate delay, its "differential delay" could be considered harmful.  As the ml fragments are received, they have to be reassembled in sequential order.  If a particular link is introducing a large amount of delay, that can cause poor performance for the entire bundle.  It could also cause packet loss.

The operator can choose to configure two thresholds (yellow and red) for this.  The operator can also configure an action to remove, or stop transmitting on the link, when the red threshold is crossed.

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos92/swconfig-services/configuring-the-link-services-differential-delay.html#id-12545995

Regards,

Ben

• 3.  RE: mfr bundle differential delay alarms

Posted 09-08-2008 11:51

Thanks, that is what i gleaned from the juniper docs and the FRF16.1 document.

I just wasn't completely sure of the implications of upping the red alarm value to 120 (from the default of 60).

stine

• 4.  RE: mfr bundle differential delay alarms
    Best Answer

Posted 09-08-2008 12:35

The current JUNOS default for red alarm is 120ms. It was increased from from 60ms to 120ms in JUNOS 8.1 release.  If you are on an earlier release, it is probably safe to increase your red alarm value to match the current JUNOS default of 120ms.

• 5.  RE: mfr bundle differential delay alarms

Posted 09-09-2008 08:47

thanks, we increased yellow to 60 and red to 120, and have seen no adverse impact on customer traffic.

stine

• 6.  RE: mfr bundle differential delay alarms

Posted 09-08-2008 11:57

One other thought.   If you have varying differential delay report on BOTH links in a 2-link bundle, what should we suspect????   I can see where a particular link causing yellow differential delay alarms, but not both of them alternately