Junos OS

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about Junos OS.
  • 1.  mx104 password reset

Posted 09-21-2020 01:59

Hi All,

I need to reset the root password for an mx104 and i would like to follow this procedure

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/recovering-root-password.html

Now, I have a doubt: can i reset the password by simply using an install-media? In my opinion no. Reading this

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/recovery-using-emergency-boot.html

Looks to me that the usage of install-media will simply

"The emergency boot device repartitions the primary disk and reloads a fresh installation of Junos OS software."

but looks to me that the configuration will stay.

Did i get it correctly?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: mx104 password reset

Posted 09-21-2020 02:13

Hello,

no, the install media is used if your system does not boot any more due to a corrupt JUNOS or other issues. If you use the install media, the whole system will be formatted and you will lose all of your data, including the config.

The "Recovering Root Password" link you mentioned is the correct one, just restart the system and perform the steps described.

• 3.  RE: mx104 password reset

Posted 09-21-2020 03:07

Hi,

Thank you for your answer which clarify a lot.

This mean that in theory i can also upgrade the router using the installation-media of the  JunOS release that i want to upgrade to.

This is an alternative way to upgrade and than reapply the config.

I know that probably this method is not approved by Juniper but it is just a tought.

Anyone as experience by using this last method on mx104?

Btw password reset worked.

• 4.  RE: mx104 password reset
    Best Answer

Posted 09-21-2020 04:10

> This mean that in theory i can also upgrade the router using the installation-media of the JunOS release that i want to upgrade to.

Only by a complete reinstall and formatting the disk and losing the config and all other files, like installed custom scripts or certificates. This just makes sense if you have any issues which can be solved by formatting the disk and reinstall JUNOS. If you don't have any issues, you should use the "Install Package" in combination with the "request <system|vmhost> software add" command.

> This is an alternative way to upgrade and than reapply the config.

> I know that probably this method is not approved by Juniper but it is just a tought.

Yes, but a much more complex one. Actually it is supported by Juniper, but it is not necessary for a normal JUNOS upgrade

> Anyone as experience by using this last method on mx104?

Yes, a recovery installation with an "Install Media" file works fine, I have performed this several times.

• 5.  RE: mx104 password reset

Posted 09-21-2020 06:02

Thank you so much for your answer which is very hard to get answered browsing the documentation.

You just share very valuable information.

Thanks.