Management
Management

Documenting a network

‎02-29-2012 04:44 AM

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place, but here goes.

I'm about to document a network and before just collecting a lot of information in some document, I thought I would create some kind of template. Searching for information on best-practices, good advices, other peoples experiences, guidelines etc. I havn't found anything that really works.

This might be because you can document a network in as many ways as you can design a network.

What I'm looking for is some kind of generic template that is very network centric, which means it should document "The Network" eg. routers, switches and so on and not hosts, active directory, printers, storage etc.

The goal is that a person who have never seen the network should be able to get a basic undestanding of how it works.

Does anyone know where to find such a template, if it exists?

What are your experiences in documenting a network? Which kind of information did you include and how many details?

And did it work, did people use it afterwards or did it end up on some shelf?

1 REPLY 1
Management

Re: Documenting a network

‎03-03-2012 09:51 AM

You would be best to compile it yourelf with Visio or something similar in order to show the network layout.

A comms matrix ( which could be made in excel) could be made up showing all NAT, port forwarding etc

Most manufacturers have a set of Visio diagrams for their components available for free.

MMcD [JNCIP-SEC, JNCIS-ENT, CCNA, MCP]

[Please Mark My Solution Accepted if it Helped, Kudos are Appreciated Too]