Management
Management

QFX Management Instance

‎09-25-2019 07:03 AM

Hi all.  I am trying to add a management instance to my QFX 5100 4-member virtual chassis.  I've followed the instructions here:  https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/management-interface-in-non-defau...

My config looks like this:

{master:1}[edit]
root@qfx# show system management-instance
management-instance;

{master:1}[edit]
root@qfx# show routing-instances
mgmt_junos {
    routing-options {
        static {
            route 0.0.0.0/0 next-hop 10.255.254.9;
        }
    }
}
root@qfx# show interfaces vme
unit 0 {
    family inet {
        address 10.255.254.13/29;
    }
}

The problem that I'm having is that the switch doesn't seem to be installing the default route that I've added.  I can ping my default gateway from the VC, but I can't hit anything beyond that.  I checked my other equipment, and the route for 10.255.254.8/29 is advertised into my IGP, and I can ping the router addresses (.9, with .10 and .11 for VRRP) from other parts of my network, but I can't hit the management address for this stack.

I think the issue is that the default route that I provided isn't making it into the FIB:

root@qfx# run show route instance mgmt_junos
Instance             Type
         Primary RIB                                     Active/holddown/hidden
mgmt_junos           forwarding

The doc that I linked doesn't seem to provide any further guidance.  Any ideas what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
Management

Re: QFX Management Instance

‎09-25-2019 08:00 AM

What version JUNOS are you running? mgmt instance isn't supported until 17.3, and not even fully until 18.3.

Management

‎09-25-2019 08:15 AM

Sorry, I forgot to put that in my original post.  This is 19.2R1.8

Management

‎09-25-2019 01:17 PM

Also tied 18.3 without success.  Next step is going to be JTAC.

Management

[ Edited ]
‎09-25-2019 02:50 PM
Is the vme address showing up in the default routing instance table? I believe you need to assign the address to em0 interface instead, for it to work in the mgmt instance, and it will failover to other members like vme does, though you should test.
Management

‎09-27-2019 11:31 AM

I believe that you are on to something.  The vme interface does show up in the default routing instance table.  em0 goes into the mgmt_junos instance.  When I set the address on em0, it does not failover to the other members like the vme interface would.

I may try setting the em0 interface on a per-switch basis, per:  https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB25724&cat=EX3300&actp=LIST

This isn't a huge deal for me, but it would be nice if I can make it work with the vme.  I may still contact JTAC just to see what they say.  Thanks so much for your help!

Management

‎09-30-2019 05:58 AM

Contacted JTAC, turns out that using the vme interface in a non-default routing instance is not supported.  Bummer.

Thanks for your assistance!