My Certification Journey
Share and learn from real life stories of those who are on the path to become Juniper Certified
, Trusted Contributor
My Certification Journey
BLOGGING CHALLENGE: My Juniper Certification Story
Sep 13, 2014

This is the story of one of our clients who was using Nortel/Avaya data switches (Tier-2 Network) across all over network locations connected with T1’s, OC3’s and 10 Gig Fiber links. The customer is planning to move /change the network data products to new OEM and thinking of challenges that might be facing while doing the migration based on mentioned factors:

1)      Nortel SMLT/MLT supported features (High Availability with sub second failover)

2)      Nortel Switch Stacking features

3)      Nortel IP phone support

4)      Cisco LWAP Access Points support (Local and Flex connect mode)

5)      Quality of Service (Qos) support

6)      PIM and IGMP support

7)      Easiness in switches administration similar to Nortel JDM (Java Device Manager)

After doing a lot of product demonstration and lab testing over a month, the client finally selected Juniper as their next vendor for the entire migration of data switches in data center and connected locations. For starting the implementation, I had to get ready with Juniper Certification so that it is easy to get the things understood and managed.

I started by doing self-study on Junos using Day One books and Technical Documentation and then enrolled in the Introduction to Junos Operating System (IJOS), Junos Routing Essentials (JRE), Junos Intermediate Routing (JIR) and Junos Enterprise Switching (JEX) courses classes at an authorized Juniper Education Partner to get cross trained with Junos fundamentals and good labs with hands on over routing and switching portfolio.

After training completion and a lot of studies, I have attempted for JNCIA-Junos and JNCIS-ENT Certification and able to clear the exams with more than 85% passing score.

Thanks to Juniper authorized study material (from the courses I attended) and technical documentation.

While implementation, I have started with Juniper 8216 virtual chassis using external routing engine (XRE-200) in redundant mode and aggregated ethernet (similar to SMLT/MLT)  links  along with VRRP protocol  for Layer 3 redundancy  and Non Stop active Routing (Graceful Routing Engine Switchover) for sub second failover.

Moving towards Edge, Nortel Layer 2 Data Switches is replaced by Juniper 4500 and 4200 using virtual stacking in pre-provisioned mode. Nortel IP phones are placed in voice vlan which in turn communicated with Nortel PBX without any issues.

Cisco Wireless Access Points placed in Wireless Vlan being one as management vlan configured as native vlan to communicate with Wireless controller.

Qos is also implemented similar to Nortel by creating forwarding classes, drop profiles, scheduler-maps and applied to interconnected ports.

For multicast traffic, PIM sparse and IGMP are used for carrying multicast stream from one location to another. Finally all deployed Juniper Switches have Graphical based view for administration and maintenance called as J-Web.

This is very wonderful experience for me to start with Juniper Certification and then finally ends with excellent device implementation.