My Certification Journey
Share and learn from real life stories of those who are on the path to become Juniper Certified
, Super Contributor
My Certification Journey
NEW Juniper Certification Tracks for Network Support Engineers Engaged in Advanced Troubleshooting
Jun 15, 2013

The other day my daughter asked me what I did for a living.  It had been a particularly challenging day so my immediate response was “TROUBLESHOOTING” (yes – in a loud voice!).  Now, I do not really do troubleshooting for a living, but it is an important part of my day to day responsibilities and so it is important that I know how to do it effectively and efficiently.   

Those of you who work on networks know troubleshooting skills are critical; the ability to address problems on the network quickly and effectively ensures smoother and more profitable operations.   I bet some of you even measure troubleshooting skills by how much revenue is lost for your company every minute the network is down.  That is a lot of pressure! 

At Juniper education we have long had troubleshooting topics in our training, and our core product certifications (JNCIP-SP, JNCIP-ENT and JNCIP-SEC).  Now we are pleased to introduce a series of courses and Juniper Network certifications that go beyond the JNCIP level troubleshooting knowledge – focusing on advance troubleshooting topics.  There will be three certifications in the Juniper Networks Certified Support track – all at the Professional level.  The three certifications are:

• Juniper Networks Certified Support Professional, Service Provider Routing and Switching (JNCSP-SP)
  • Juniper Networks Certified Support Professional, Enterprise Routing and Switching (JNCSP-ENT)
  • Juniper Networks Certified Support Professional, Security (JNCSP-SEC)

These certifications are ideal for the network engineer responsible for performing advanced troubleshooting and/or providing technical support services.  They are designed for an experienced networking professional with advanced knowledge of the Junos OS and Junos software for SRX series devices.  The written exams use scenarios to verify the candidate's understanding of how to troubleshoot complex issues in supporting advanced technologies.

See how these advanced troubleshooting certifications fit into the existing JNCP Framework in Fig 1 below.

Fig 1 JNCP FRAMEWORK

JNCP Framework 6_2013.png

Each JNCSP certification will require two exams – a slightly different approach than Juniper has taken in the past.  The objective is to minimize any redundant content so that candidates who choose to get a JNCSP credential on multiple tracks will not have to be tested on the same basic concepts.   All JNCSP tracks will require that you pass the JN0-690 Junos Troubleshooting exam, which covers introductory troubleshooting skills for network engineers.  There is an additional exam for each of the individual tracks – SEC, ENT and SP – that provide students with information on advanced troubleshooting.  See details in Table 1 below.

Table 1

JNCSP Table.jpg

This training and new JNCP certification path will definitely help you broaden your knowledge and expertise – enhancing your career.  However, it will not help you troubleshoot the leaking pipe that is flooding your basement!  Yikes – I discovered flooding in my basement this morning.  Now I have to go call a CERTIFIED plumber with expertise in his type of troubleshooting.  Wonder how relevant and reliable that certification process is????

Basement.JPG

Good luck in your endeavors and please email certification@juniper.net if you have any questions or feedback.

Below I have consolidated detailed information on the courses and certifications.  We are currently developing detailed exam descriptions.  I will update this post when I have that information.

About the Courses

Junos Troubleshooting in the NOC (JTNOC)

This three-day course is designed to provide introductory troubleshooting skills for engineers in a network operations center (NOC) environment. Key topics within this course include troubleshooting methodology, troubleshooting tools, hardware monitoring and troubleshooting, interface monitoring and troubleshooting, troubleshooting the data plane and control plane on devices running the Junos operating system, staging and acceptance methodology, troubleshooting routing protocols, monitoring the network, and working with JTAC. This course is based on Junos OS Release 12.2R2.5.

Complete Details and Schedule

Advanced Junos Service Provider Troubleshooting (AJSPT)

This course is designed to provide students with information about troubleshooting hardware, Junos software, and more obscure problems like packet loss and latency, interior gateway protocols, BGP, routing policy, MPLS, Layer 2 and Layer 3 VPNs, multicast, and class of service. Students will gain experience in monitoring and troubleshooting these topics through demonstration as well as hands-on labs. The course exposes students to common troubleshooting commands and tools used to troubleshoot various intermediate to advanced issues.

This course uses Juniper Networks MX Series 3D Universal Edge Routers for the hands-on component, but the lab environment does not preclude the course from being applicable to other Juniper hardware platforms running the Junos OS. This course is based on Junos OS Release 12.2R2.4

Advanced Junos Enterprise Switching Troubleshooting (AJEXT)

This course is designed to provide students with information about troubleshooting EX Series hardware, Junos software, and more obscure problems like packet loss and latency, Virtual Chassis, spanning tree protocols, Q-in-Q tunneling, port security features, multicast, and class of service. Students will gain experience in monitoring and troubleshooting these topics through demonstration as well as hands-on labs. The course exposes students to common troubleshooting commands and tools used to troubleshoot various intermediate to advanced issues.

This course uses Juniper Networks EX Series Switches for the hands-on component, but the lab environment does not preclude the course from being applicable to other Juniper hardware platforms running the Junos OS. This course is based on Junos OS Release 12.3R1.7

Advanced Junos Enterprise Routing Troubleshooting (AJERT)

This course is designed to provide students with information about troubleshooting SRX Series hardware, Junos software, and more obscure problems like packet loss and latency, interior gateway protocols, BGP, routing policy, multicast, and class of service. Students will gain experience in monitoring and troubleshooting these topics through demonstration as well as hands-on labs. The course exposes students to common troubleshooting commands and tools used to troubleshoot various intermediate to advanced issues.

This course uses Juniper Networks SRX Series Services Gateways for the hands-on component, but the lab environment does not preclude the course from being applicable to other Juniper hardware platforms running the Junos OS. This course is based on Junos OS Release 12.1R5.5.

Advanced Junos Enterprise Security Troubleshooting (AJEST)

This course is designed to provide students with information about troubleshooting SRX Series hardware, Junos software, and more obscure problems like packet loss and latency, IPsec, security zones and policies, other security features, and chassis clustering. Students will gain experience in monitoring and troubleshooting these topics through demonstration as well as hands-on labs. The course exposes students to common troubleshooting commands and tools used to troubleshoot various intermediate to advanced issues.

This course uses Juniper Networks SRX Series Services Gateways for the hands-on component, but the lab environment does not preclude the course from being applicable to other Juniper hardware platforms running the Junos OS. This course is based on Junos OS Release 12.1R5.5.

About the Certifications

Detailed exam descriptions and pre-requisites will be posted to the JNCP web site in the next few weeks.

The JNCSP certifications exist as a separate track from the JNCIx certifications.   Therefore, gaining a JNCSP certification WILL NOT re-certify any JNCIx certification.  The JNCSP certifications have the same expiration period as all other JNCP certifications – two years as Active and one year as Inactive.  A candidate can take the two required exams to achieve a JNCSP certification in any order they wish.  The JN0-690 Junos Troubleshooting exam is only required once.  It applies to all JNCSP certifications – JNCSP-ENT, JNCSP-SP, JNCSP-SEC.

Detailed learning paths for each certification are shown in Figs 2, 3 and 4 below.

Fig 2    JNCSP-SP

JNCSP SP Learning Path.png

Fig 3   JNCSP-ENT

JNCSP ENT Learning Path.png

Fig 4    JNCSP-SEC

JNCSP SEC Learning Path.png

Top Kudoed Members