NNArchive
Juniper Employee , Juniper Employee Juniper Employee
NNArchive
Applications of Software Defined Networking
Dec 7, 2012

One of the perks of living in Silicon Valley is the opportunity to see fancy cars. What can be fancier than a self-driven car? What if networks can work this way? Recently, I analyzed Software Defined Networking (SDN) and its applications for the Virtual Strategy Magazine. In this article, I evaluate ‘what is the end goal?’ that SDN sets out to solve. At a high level, the challenges are resource utilization, network management, error management, and rate of innovation. Can Software Defined Networking help alleviate some of these challenges?

SDN changes the architecture of the network devices as illustrated in the simplified picture below:

SDN Chart.jpg

The article discusses the three components of SDN and their benefits in detail:

1. Separation of the control plane from the data plane
  2. Centralization of the control plane
  3. Higher-level northbound interfaces

Then I evaluate what the SDN controller can do for us. The SDN controller has end-to-end visibility of a network. With this information, SDN is uniquely positioned to have a positive impact on the network. It can also perform existing applications better. Let us look at some of these benefits:

1. Anywhere access to information via the cloud
  2. Network management
  3. Resource utilization
  4. Security
  5. Network Functions Virtualization (NFV)
  6. Network service chaining
  7. Faster innovation
  8. Bandwidth calendaring
  9. Network programmability
  10. Energy management

Juniper Networks® JunosV App Engine addresses many of the applications listed above. It is a platform for network functions virtualization (NFV). You can read the article here and view the slideshow here (slide #3). I would like to hear from you about your thoughts on SDN, use cases, etc.

Contact me via Twitter @NatarajanPriya