What is the minimum configuration required for discovering and managing devices?
For Network Director to be able to discover and manage devices, the following minimum configuration is required:
- A static management IP address must exist on the device that is reachable from the Junos Space Platform. This IP address can be in-band or out-of-band.
- SSH v2 must be enabled on the device.
- If you plan to use SNMP for device discovery, you must enable SNMP on the device and create the appropriate V1, V2, and V3 credentials.
- The following protocol ports must be open between the Junos Space Network Management Platform server and the devices:
- Port 22 for SSH connections. If you have changed the SSH port to a port other than port 22 on your Network Management Platform, you must change the SSH ports on your managed devices to the port that the Network Management Platform uses.
- Port 443 for virtualization and RingMaster import support. Use port 443 for outbound traffic to vCenter servers.
NOTE: If your RingMaster server uses any port other than port 443, then you must open that port from the Junos Space Network Management Platform server.
- Port 10162 for SNMP traps. Network Director receives traps from managed devices on this port. (After you install Network Director, use Network Director to configure SNMP on your devices to send traps to Network Director on this port.)
- Port 8889 for the management of wireless LAN controllers.
- Port 21 (TCP) and port 69 (UDP) for uploading the software image and configuration file to the FTP server.
- Port 8282 for connecting to the DLE.
- Ports 8774, 9696, 9292, 8777, 35357, and 8776 for accessing OpenStack and VMware NSX APIs.
You can verify that the ports are open to the devices by logging in to the Network Management Platform CLI and executing the nmap command. For example, to verify that port 8889 is open to a controller, enter:
root@space# nmap <controller-ip-address> -p 8889
For a complete list of the supported devices and their required operating system version, refer to the Supported Platforms section in the Network Director Release Notes.