Blogs

FAQ: Junos OS MIBs

By Erdem posted 02-01-2016 09:53

A management information base (MIB) is a table of definitions for managed objects in a network device. SNMP uses MIBs to maintain standard definitions of all of the components and their operating conditions within a network device. Each object in the MIB has an identifying code called an object identifier (OID).

MIBs are either standard or enterprise-specific. Standard MIBs are created by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and documented in various RFCs. Enterprise-specific MIBs are developed and supported by a specific equipment manufacturer.

The enterprise branch number for Junos OS is 2636. Enterprise branch numbers are used in SNMP MIB configurations, and they are also known as SMI network management private enterprise codes.

For a list of supported standard and enterprise-specific MIBs, click SNMP MIBs and Traps Reference

This article provides answers to the most common questions about Junos OS MIBs.

1. Do MIB files reside on the Junos OS devices?
  2. How do I compile and load the Junos OS MIBs onto an SNMP manager or NMS?
  3. What is SMI, and which versions does Junos OS support?
  4. Does Junos OS support MIB II?
  5. What is the system object identifier (SYSOID) of a device?
  6. What can I do if the MIB OID query is not responding?
  7. Which MIB displays the hardware and chassis details on a Juniper Networks device?
  8. Is the interface index (ifIndex) persistent?
  9. Which MIB objects support SNMP set operations?
  10. Can I use SNMP to determine the health of the processes running on the Routing Engine?
  11. Are the Ping MIBs returned in decimal notation and ASCII?
  12. Is there an SNMP MIB to show Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) table information?

#FAQ