Blogs

FAQ: SNMPv3

By Erdem posted 02-01-2016 11:23

Juniper Networks provides many different platforms that support SNMP on Junos OS. Junos OS includes an onboard SNMP agent that provides remote management applications with access to detailed information about the devices on the network.

Junos OS supports:

• version 1 (SNMPv1)
  • version 2 (SNMPv2c)
  • version 3 (SNMPv3)

SNMPv3 provides enhanced security compared to the other versions of SNMP. It provides authentication and encryption of data. Enhanced security is important for managing devices at remote sites from the management stations.

You can configure Junos OS for SNMPv1 and SNMPv3 simultaneously. SNMP has backward compatibility, meaning that you can enable all three versions simultaneously.

By default, SNMP is disabled on a Juniper Networks device. To enable and configure SNMP, click Configuring SNMP on devices running Junos OS.

To ramp up on SNMP implementation in Junos OS, click Understanding SNMP implementation in Junos OS.

This article provides answers to the most common questions about SNMPv3.

1. In my system, the MIB object snmpEngineBoots is not in sync between two Routing Engines in a dual Routing Engine device. Is this normal behavior?
  2. I see the configuration of informs under the [edit snmp v3] hierarchy. Does this mean I cannot use informs with SNMPv2c?

#SNMPv1
#JunosOS
#SNMPv2c
#FAQ