Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  BGP states

Posted 02-12-2012 18:55

Hi, I have a little confusion about BGP states: connect and active. What's the differences between them?

ThankS!

• 2.  RE: BGP states

Posted 02-13-2012 02:46

• 3.  RE: BGP states

Posted 02-13-2012 16:16

http://www6.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4271

Look up Finite State Machine for more info
    BGP States.
    ACTIVE and CONNECT are basically TCP States
    It is a little bit more complex than we are given, but that would require one of the Juniper programmers to explain this concept- but for all intent and purposes, it is waiting for the TCP handshake.BGP relies on the TCP protocol for transport. So TCP must be established first before BGP can proceed, hence these different states. I have found many different explanations and here is one, I concocted. Both states are trying to acomplish the same thing, but are a result of diffent things happening. The CONNECT state is the the result of a start event, which can be an automated event or one done by an Admin- maybe he just configured BGP on an interface and hit the commit button. Once the start even is sent, BGP kicks its resources into gear and trys to establish the TCP session, then transition to the CONNECT state. In the CONNECT state it is waiting for response from the peer to complete the 3-way handshake,TCP onnection. Among other things it starts a ConnectRetryTimer. If the connection is successful, it sends the OPEN message to the peer, then transitions to the OPENSENT state.
    If there are TCP ERRORS resulting in a failure, it closes the connection and goes back to IDLE
    If the connection is unsuccessful during the connect state and the retry timer has expired, transitions to ACTIVE state and tries to re-establish the TCP session again. And if successful, then OPEN message is sent and it transitions to OPENSENT...
    But how it transitions to ACTIVE and what happens is far more comple

• 4.  RE: BGP states

Posted 02-20-2012 16:41

Thanks, guys.