Routing

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Can I make JUNOS advertise two /26's in BGP from a single /25 route in the RIB?

Posted 05-08-2018 07:27

Scenario.  I am assigned a /25 lan block from the ISP.  They allow us to carve that up into two /26's so we can load share across two circuits.  (Think advertise /26 A out Circuit A and /26 B + prepended out Circuit A, and vice versa for Circuit B)

My problem is this.  On the inside/LAN side interface I have the entire /25 lan block configured on the interface.

My device (SRX) does not want to advertise the two /26's.  I'm thinking the exact /26 must be in my routing table for the advertisement to work.  So at this point I'm wondering if there is any work around.

Here's the partial config.  I am thinking it doesn't work because I lack the exact /26 routes in my table.  Is there a way to get around this.  I'd like to advoid configuring them separately unless there is no work around.

interfaces {
        ge-0/0/0 {
            description "LAN INTERFACE";
            }
            unit 0 {
                family inet {
                    address 10.10.10.0/25;

policy-options {
        prefix-list SUBNET-A {
            10.10.10.0/26;
        }
        prefix-list SUBNET-B {
            10.10.10.64/26;
        policy-statement CIRCUIT-A-OUT {
            term SUBNET-A-TERM {
                from {
                    prefix-list SUBNET-A;
                }
                then accept;
            }
            term SUBNET-B-TERM {
                from {
                    prefix-list SUBNET-B;
                }
                then {
                    as-path-prepend "65001 65001";
                    accept;
    protocols {
                bgp {
                    group ISP-GROUP {
                        type external;
                        peer-as 65002;
                        neighbor 1.1.1.1 {
                            import DEFAULT-IN;
                            export CIRCUIT-A-OUT;

• 2.  RE: Can I make JUNOS advertise two /26's in BGP from a single /25 route in the RIB?
    Best Answer

Posted 05-08-2018 09:13

Hello,

Of course there is a way.  

"BGP-static" routes would be the perfect candidate feature ( https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/example/example-configuring-bgp-static-routes.html ) but since it is not supported on SRX (MX only), You can configure two /26 statics to point to the network IP of covering /25:

set routing-options static route 10.10.10.0/26 next-hop 10.10.10.0 no-install
    set routing-options static route 10.10.10.64/26 next-hop 10.10.10.0 no-install

This way, the two /26 will be:

1/ present in the RIB but not in the FIB (at least how it behaves in my virtual lab)

2/ removed from RIB if ge-0/0/0 goes down.

And You can advertise these two /26 via eBGP out, as You normally do with any other static route.

HTH

Thx
    Alex

• 3.  RE: Can I make JUNOS advertise two /26's in BGP from a single /25 route in the RIB?

Posted 05-08-2018 10:21

The perfect solution accomplishing exaclty what I was hoping to achieve.  Thanks much!

• 4.  RE: Can I make JUNOS advertise two /26's in BGP from a single /25 route in the RIB?

Posted 03-03-2021 09:33
    Hi, 

On a ACX in JUNOS 17, if I point the next-hop to my onwn interface IP (with interface up), the route does not make it to the RIB. If I point it to something else on the subnet it does work though. There might be something preventing this kind of hack now.

The BGP-Static solution is better but it does not allow to drop the route in case the interface goes down does it? 

Thanks,