Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Can we get Hash Key from its configuration in EX?

Posted 11-14-2016 09:18

Hi One of commands is missed in one of two peer routers. Please see the command below:

set snmp v3 usm local-engine user ehccuser authentication-md5 authentication-key <<Hash  Key>>

When we "show configuration | display set" in its peer, the Hash Key is encrypted one. My question is how to type the Hash Key for this router when i want to add the missed command? Thank you

• 2.  RE: Can we get Hash Key from its configuration in EX?
    Best Answer

Posted 11-14-2016 10:51

Hi,

There are scripts to decode $9$ hash from Junos or you could use:

http://password-decrypt.com/

Cheers,

Ashvin

• 3.  RE: Can we get Hash Key from its configuration in EX?

Posted 11-14-2016 11:44

Great! Thank you

Now I got it from its peer's command. Than means we would use the same password for the two peer. My additional question is what would happen if I use different password than peer's password?

• 4.  RE: Can we get Hash Key from its configuration in EX?

Posted 11-14-2016 13:21

Hi,

Btw, you can configure authentication using the authentication-key hash [no need to know the original unencrypted key]:

set snmp v3 usm local-engine user ehsnmpuser authentication-md5 authentication-key <<Hash  Key>>

When the authentication is supplied, a hash is computed and compared to the configured hash. If they do not match, authentication fails.

Am not sure what you meant by peer in this snmp config.

Cheers,

Ashvin

• 5.  RE: Can we get Hash Key from its configuration in EX?

Posted 11-14-2016 13:57

Thank you! I already understand it