Routing
Highlighted
Routing

Console port on Backup RE not accepting the credentials

‎05-19-2020 06:31 AM

Hi Fellow enthusiasts,

I witnessed a weird problem today where I was unable to log in (using local credentials) to backup RE via its console. 

- Checked the cable, I was actually able to reach the port where I could see the login prompt.

- Ensured proper plugging, the seating of RE and CB to the chassis.

I switched the mastership to RE0 and then I was now unable to login to RE0(present backup, previous master) using the same local credentials. Basically I was not able to login to the RE via console which was at the time backup irrespective of RE0 and RE1.

Tried with and without GRES, config alike too. I could see no logs pertaining to this.

Can you please help me out here?

//Nex

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Routing

Re: Console port on Backup RE not accepting the credentials

[ Edited ]
‎05-19-2020 06:41 AM

Hi Nexon,

Can you try performing a commit synchronize from the master and check if that works? Pasting link below:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/synchronising-routing-engines.htm...

In case you are still unable to login, try performing a root password recovery on the RE that is throwing you error and post that try again with your new password

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/recovering-root-password.html

Additionally, pasting below link to Configuring Root Password for an informational purpose:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/user-access-root-password.html

Hope those helps 🙂

Please mark "Accepted Solution" if this works for you.

Kudos are always appreciated

Highlighted
Routing

[ Edited ]
‎05-19-2020 08:51 AM

Hello Nexon,

Greetings!

1. Are you able to log in from the management port via fxp0 address of current Backup RE?
  2. Are you able to login to at least one RE either by Management or console?

If you are able to login to one RE at least, then you can log in to the other  RE via an internal link.

In order to make an attempt to login to the  Routing Engine [Non-accessible Routing Engine] from the other Routing Engine[Accessible Routing-Engine], use the command below on the accessible Routing Engine to login to the Non-accessible Routing Engine.

CLI command:

> request routing-engine login other-routing-engine

Other options:

request routing-engine login (backup | master | other-routing-engine | re0 | re1)

backup — Login to the backup Routing Engine.
master — Login to the master Routing Engine.
re0 — Login to the Routing Engine in slot 0.
re1 — Login to the Routing Engine in slot 1.
other-routing-engine​ — Login to the Alternate Routing Engine

For more info, please refer:

https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB35778&act=login

The following actions can be performed after logging into the Routing Engine using the above command:

1. Check the device status by running all the show commands.
  2. Enter into the configuration mode and make changes to the configuration of the device.
  3. Copy files from one Routing Engine to other Routing Engine.
  4. Enter into the shell mode.
  5. Switching the mastership from one Routing Engine to other Routing Engine.
  6. Reboot the Routing Engine and many more.

There is an internal link between both the Routing Engines which is responsible for the connection between both the Routing Engines. This internal link must be in Good state for login from one Routing Engine to another Routing Engine.

To check the status of the all the internal link, use the below CLI Command:

> show chassis ethernet-switch

After logging in to the device, check for the alarms,core-dumps, and health of the Routing Engine. If everything is stable, perform a blank "commit synchronize from the master RE.

Also, Can you double-check with the console cable and see if everything is good?

I hope this helps. Please mark this post "Accept as solution" if this answers your query.

Kudos are always appreciated! Smiley Happy

Best Regards,

Lingabasappa H

Highlighted
Routing

‎05-19-2020 09:01 AM

Hi bmanvita and shlinga,

Thank you for the response, I did try:

1. commit synchronize

2. The user is locally defined and it works on the master RE(lets say RE0 is M and RE1 B - the system wont accept pw for RE1 when tried logging in via console. I switch mastership, the problem shifts to RE0 and then RE1 console login works fine)

3. Yes, I am able to login fine with other inband and outband method and login to backup from master works fine too. I am all good here..

4. There are no esw errors or any other link issues ( I suppose this does not contribute to the system not allowing login through console)

5. Cables and connectivity - all good.

The issue is it does not accept credentials and prompts again and again when I try to login to the backup RE via console. ( The same credentials work fine on master console and the config is the same and synced)

//Nex

Highlighted
Routing

‎05-19-2020 09:25 AM

Hello Nexon,

Thanks for the reply.

Are there any core-dumps, or alarms on both the RE's?

This is actually a very rare situation where the backup console failsSmiley Sad

Can you just have a look on below documentation for once and see everything is rightly set under :

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/port-console-and-auxilia...:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/configuration-statement/console-e...

As per my understanding, I would recommend you open a case with JTAC and get this resolved as this seems to be an exceptional issue.

I hope this helps. Please mark this post "Accept as solution" if this answers your query.

Best Regards,

Lingabasappa H

Highlighted
Routing

[ Edited ]
‎05-19-2020 09:57 AM

Hi Nexon,

In case you are using the same console cable while accessing backup RE via console, you can consider using a different one to check if the issue clears. Also, have you checked if there is an issue with connecting to the console server?

Also, did you try if root password recovery on backup followed by commit synchronize on the master to check if this helps? You can give this a try.

If all of the above suggestions have been taken care of, the issue does not seem very common. We might need remote hands to check on this. Kindly contact Juniper TAC for this.

Hope this helps 🙂

Please mark this "Accepted Solution" if this works for you.

Highlighted
Routing

‎05-20-2020 05:24 AM

Hi,

1. can you please share you console port settings ( https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/port-console-and-auxilia... )

2. can you please (briefly) configure a seperate syslog file with any any logging to capture what happens at the time of the failed login?

Regards

Ulf

--
If this worked for you please flag my post as an 'Accepted Solution' so others can benefit. A kudo would be cool if you think I earned it.
Feedback