Routing
Routing

Difference Between Node Slicing and Logical Systems (LSYS) in Junos

‎10-23-2017 08:58 PM

Hallo Experts,

Help me understand, the difference between the two.I see a lot of Node Slicing being mentioned recently, as a way of Separation on the MX Platform.

Is this a Feature that is embedded on the Junos Software or the Hardware? 

More importantly, how does it differentiate from LSYS which has been around for a while, allowing division of a Router up to the Control Plane and hardware resource level?

What's the Main use case for Node Slicing, Any useful documentation on it?

Regards,
Willys W.
3 REPLIES 3
Routing

Re: Difference Between Node Slicing and Logical Systems (LSYS) in Junos

‎10-23-2017 09:41 PM

Hi,

There is some information available in below link.

https://forums.juniper.net/t5/Network-OS/Junos-Node-Slicing-Demo-Videos/ta-p/310578

Regards,

Rahul

Highlighted
Routing

‎10-23-2017 10:07 PM

Hi Willys,

as far i understand the feature is embedded on the junos software.

Below are the use cases:

As far i understood below are the use cases.

Multi-tenancy and External control plane

1. Multi-tenancy 

Multi-tenancy refers to network architecture that can be shared by
different tenants and at the same time providing an independent operating environment to each tenant. It is very critical that in a multi-tenant architecture, services belong to one tenant do not affect the services on tenants.

2. External control plane:
By node slicing we are moving router control plane outside the box to be run on x86 based
external server/compute node as a Virtual Machine. reason for going to this approach is scaling of control plane independent of on-chassis routing engine hardware, which may provide better performance and high scaling.

Control Plane Separation
• Independent SW version for each tenant
• Dedicated CPU/Memory for each tenant
• Data Plane Separation
• Independent mgmt plane: configuration, alarm, OS upgrade, etc

you can refer below docuement:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/information-products/pathway-pages/junos-node-slic...

Hope this helps

Routing

‎10-23-2017 11:58 PM

Hi Folks,

Let me try to explain in simple lines,

LSYS – Logical Systems are software segregation of the box [example MX router] and it does not have control on the resources like CPU/Memory in the box. To add it’s the Junos remains the same in default and within logical systems

Node Slicing – It is a mechanism of segmenting a Physical box to multiple boxes with dedicated resources CPU/Memory available and mapping individual such Virtual RE to dedicated FPC’s in the box. Moreover, you have the offload the Routing Engine functionality to an external server and map multiple such Routing Engine instances to individual FPC in the Physical router.

-Python JNCIE 3X [SP|DC|ENT] JNCIP-SEC JNCDS 3X [ WAN | DC|SEC] JNCIS-Cloud JNCIS-DevOps CCIP ITIL
#Please mark my solution as accepted if it helped, Kudos are appreciated as well.