Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Do I need MPLS for VPLS with BGP...

Posted 06-30-2008 09:45

Hi evrybody,

I have one question concerning VPLS : do I need to configure MPLS to use VPLS with BGP. If yes, what is the role of MPLS ?

From my point of view, I must configure also mpls in order to carry mpls label. BGP is the signaling protocol (not only of course) which replace LDP, and not MPLS. Is it correct ?

Thank you guys...

--

Daboos

• 2.  RE: Do I need MPLS for VPLS with BGP...

Posted 07-01-2008 00:07

Hi,

Actually we have two perspective to see the VPLS. From the perspective of Control Plane, we need the signalling protocols, such as LDP or BGP. and from the perspective of Forwarding Plane and subscribers' data Encapsulation, we need the MPLS protocol (Martini).

Thanks,

/ shawn

• 3.  RE: Do I need MPLS for VPLS with BGP...
    Best Answer

Posted 07-01-2008 02:23

You definitely need also MPLS since forwarding plane for VPLS service is MPLS-based. Layer 2 Ethernet frames are encapsulated with (two) MPLS labels and therefore you need LSP MPLS from each PE to any other PE and also all the PEs need to understand the MPLS inner labels.

You may use any MPLS signaling protocols (LDP or RSVP-TE) to set up PE-PE LSP MPLS, even if the use of LDP (jointly with an IGP routing protocol such OSPF or IS-IS) is the preferred choice (less configuration, less nightmares). Unless you need services such as fast-rerouting (FRR) to speed up convergence.

Bye,

Tiziano

• 4.  RE: Do I need MPLS for VPLS with BGP...

Posted 07-01-2008 04:12

Hi guys,

Thanks for your answer. It confims what I thought.

Regards,

Daboss