Routing

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Do I need a new ASN number for new DataCenter

Posted 11-12-2008 11:29

We are building out a new datacenter using Juniper equipment and I'm wondering if I can

use my existing ASN at the new site in pararell with my exisitng site.  Subnets will be different at both sites, and several internet providers

for multi-homed enviroment. 

• 2.  RE: Do I need a new ASN number for new DataCenter
    Best Answer

Posted 11-13-2008 00:16

Within the Internet, an Autonomous System (AS) is a collection of connected IP routing prefixes under the control of one or more network operators that presents a common, clearly defined routing policy to the Internet, cf. RFC 1930, Section 3. In a similar fashion, you can also use the same ASN for multiple sites. To explain it further lets say

You got an ASN 1111 and you want to use this with provider A and B in USA; Yea you can use.

You wana use same ASN 1111 with provider A and B in Pakistan; Yea you can use.

You wana use same ASN 1111 with provider A and B in UK; Yea you can use.

HTH

• 3.  RE: Do I need a new ASN number for new DataCenter

Posted 11-14-2008 06:50
    Just make sure you have iBGP session between your two DC routers. If you get only full BGP table then your DC2 router doesn't accept your DC1 prefixes from eBGP neighbor and vice versa.

• 4.  RE: Do I need a new ASN number for new DataCenter

Posted 11-14-2008 07:31

Thanks for the great feed back..

Thanks Bowling !