Routing

last person joined: 4 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Do you think if routes or traffic is blocked in Juniper router

Posted 01-05-2017 19:32

Hi As we know, bgp route policy control routes and access-list in interface control traffic. So I want to know how the firewall control. I mean firewall control routes or traffic? Thank you

• 2.  RE: Do you think if routes or traffic is blocked in Juniper router
    Best Answer

Posted 01-05-2017 19:39

Hi,

Firewall filters provide a means of protecting your router (and switch) from excessive traffic transiting the router (and switch) to a network destination or destined for the Routing Engine. Firewall filters that control local packets can also protect your router (and switch) from external incidents. It filters traffic not the routes.

For more details, please refer to this documentation:

Firewall Filters Overview

Guidelines for Configuring Firewall Filters

If this post was helpful, please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
    Kudos are always appreciated!

Thanks

• 3.  RE: Do you think if routes or traffic is blocked in Juniper router

Posted 01-06-2017 03:32

If you want to use firewall filter to control routes, then it is refered to as policy based routing. You can use filter-based forwarding using firewall filters and routing instances.

• 4.  RE: Do you think if routes or traffic is blocked in Juniper router

Posted 01-07-2017 09:41
    Hi As we know, bgp route policy control routes and access-list in interface control traffic. 
    So I want to know how the firewall control. I mean firewall control routes or traffic? Thank you

You can consider that a Junos firewall filter applied to an interface is the same as a Cisco ACL.  These will drop traffic per the filter contents and the interface side applied (input or output).  They will not affect the routing table.