Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Does NSR support routing-instances?

Posted 05-25-2019 09:14

Does Graceful Routing Engine Switchover (GRES) + Nonstop Active Routing (NSR) support Routing-Instances, and more in particular, the user-defined virtual-router routing instance type? It seems logical to me that it is supported but I want tot know it for sure.

Just to make it more clear what I mean:

GRES: [edit chassis redundancy] graceful-switchover;

NSR: [edit routing-options] nonstop-routing;

user-defined virtual-router routing instance type: [edit routing-instances just-a-name] instance-type virtual-router;

With regards,

Jean

• 2.  RE: Does NSR support routing-instances?
    Best Answer

Posted 05-25-2019 10:54

Hi ,

When GRES and NSR are both configured, it is applicable for all the traffic on the router including routing-instance.

You can refer to below link :

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/gres-overview.html

//Regards

AD

[KUDOS PLEASE! If you think I earned it!

If this solution worked for you please flag my post as an "Accepted Solution" so others can benefit..]

• 3.  RE: Does NSR support routing-instances?

Posted 05-25-2019 11:55

Hi Jean,

Yes, GRES and NSR will help prevent traffic interruption and preserve routing information in case of routing engine switchover  for routing instances as well. In case you have OSPF configured under virtual router routing instance, the protocol information should be preserved by NSR on the backup RE.  

Regards,

Rahul Gautam

Please mark my solution as accepted if it helped.

• 4.  RE: Does NSR support routing-instances?

Posted 05-27-2019 03:23

Yes it does support, go through thi slink to understand how does it work.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/nsr-overview.html

• 5.  RE: Does NSR support routing-instances?

Posted 05-27-2019 07:55

Gentlemen, thank you for answering my question.