Routing

last person joined: 5 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  ECMP and BGP multipath on SRX routing instance

Posted 08-21-2018 04:02

Hello,

regarding this document, we can configure an SRX firewall to loadbalance traffic between two or more equal-cost BGP advertised routes.

Nevertheless, it also says that you can only apply the per-packet load balancing export policy on the default routing instance, so it is not clear if that would apply to all routing instances or just to the default one. I couldn't find more information on this specific topic

Would someone be able to shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance, 

Pablo

• 2.  RE: ECMP and BGP multipath on SRX routing instance

Posted 08-21-2018 04:13

It looks like this option is NOT available inside a routing instance so it could not be applied

[edit routing-options]
    user@R1# set forwarding-table export loadbal

• 3.  RE: ECMP and BGP multipath on SRX routing instance
    Best Answer

Posted 08-21-2018 05:45

Hello,

Forwarding table load-balancing policy  applies to :

1/ global routing table/GRT

2/ routing-instances of type "virtual-router" and "forwarding" 

3/ It is also a prerequisite for multipath load-balance for routing-instances of type "vrf" where following additional knob is required for load-balancing along MPLS paths

set routing-instances BLAH routing-options multipath [vpn-unequal-path]

[1] and [2] are applicable for SRX in flow mode

[3] is applicable for SRX in packet mode

HTH

Thx

Alex

• 4.  RE: ECMP and BGP multipath on SRX routing instance

Posted 08-21-2018 12:00

Brilliant, I did a quick & dirty PoC with vSRX and I see two entries installed in the forwarding table, but I could not find any document where it states that it is the intended behaviour, thanks for the confirmation, case [2] in your list is what applies in my case 🙂

Thank you sir!

Pablo