Routing
Highlighted
Routing

Issue with simple multicast ping

‎10-22-2019 09:07 PM

morning folks,

I have had multicast working in the past, but on revisiting I am not able to get even a response to a simple ping.

I am running multiple vmxs on 15.1 - I imagine I am just forgetting something here, hopefully a nudge in the right direction is all i need

Source:

run ping 239.0.0.1 source 3.3.3.3 bypass-routing interface ge-0/0/3 ttl 10 count 5

Receiver:
    set protocols sap listen group 239.0.0.1
    set protocols igmp interface [int | all] static group 239.0.0.1

Where I run Pim I do see the join filtering upwards but still no response from receiver. The routing table is fully converged. One point that comes to mind is 'chassis fpc 0 pic 0 tunnel-services bandwidth 1g' - I have this in notes but it is unclear if this goes on everyone particapating in multicasting? just the source? everyone but the receiver?
I notice that it also affects auto-rp negatively, so should it just be configured on customer-facing interfaces? if so how would I handle a vmx vFP with only one pic?

thanks all

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Routing

Re: Issue with simple multicast ping

‎10-22-2019 11:01 PM

Hello,

@byron.moore wrote:

Receiver:
    set protocols sap listen group 239.0.0.1
    set protocols igmp interface [int | all] static group 239.0.0.1

Where I run Pim I do see the join filtering upwards but still no response from receiver.

Last time I tested it around ~2 short years ago, "protocols sap listen" was broken in the GRT but worked in the Logical System.

JUNOS was 17.2R<something>.

I haven't got to track down from what exact JUNOS release it stopped working so please try putting "protocols sap listen" into LS, re-test and report back.

Thanks

HTH

Akex

Please ask Your Juniper account team about Juniper Professional Services offerings.
Juniper PS can design, test & build the network/part of the network as per Your requirements

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Accept as Solution = cool !
Accept as Solution+Kudo = You are a Star !
Highlighted
Routing

‎10-23-2019 08:03 AM

thanks for your reply,

I tried running the above on logical-systems and I could not get an improvement

No pings returned from an adjacent neighbor or from within the logical system itself

Now the version i was using the past may have changed, so I'll try a new version when I get home

Thanks for the suggestion.

In them meantime would you think that the presence or absence of tunnel-service bandidth could have an effect?

Highlighted
Routing

‎10-23-2019 08:29 AM

Hi,

For - "In them meantime would you think that the presence or absence of tunnel-service bandidth could have an effect?"

You need tunnel-services on FHR, LHR and RP. It does not need to be on specific FPC/PIC. Any available FPC/PIC can be used.

Thanks,

Mayank Shah

Routing

‎10-23-2019 08:36 AM

Hello,

@mkshah wrote:

You need tunnel-services on FHR, LHR and RP. It does not need to be on specific FPC/PIC.

LHR has nothing to do with PIM REGISTER which requires tunnel services.

And if Your RP is on FHR, then tunnel services are not required at all.

HTH

Thx

Alex

Please ask Your Juniper account team about Juniper Professional Services offerings.
Juniper PS can design, test & build the network/part of the network as per Your requirements

Highlighted
Routing

‎10-23-2019 11:47 AM

Thanks for the help

I have deployed 18.2 version vMX's and am still not getting either adjacent neighbor pings through or responses from within the chassis itself. Very simple configuration in use, receiver pasted in below, source is similar without igmp or sap. ping command is "run ping 239.0.0.1 ttl 10 bypass-routing interface ge-0/0/0.0 source 1.1.1.1", similar ping when run on the receiver. Chassis Network-service is enhanced-ip. one control-plane one forwarding-plane. Unicast scope pings are working, ospf is converged, source igmp is aware of the static groups on receiver. Using a vmx trial license newly installed.

set chassis fpc 0 lite-mode
set chassis network-services enhanced-ip
set interfaces ge-0/0/0 unit 0 family inet address 10.1.2.2/24
set interfaces lo0 unit 0 family inet address 2.2.2.2/32
set protocols igmp interface ge-0/0/0.0 static group 239.0.0.1
set protocols sap listen 239.0.0.1
set protocols sap listen 225.0.0.1
set protocols sap listen 230.0.0.1
set protocols sap listen 235.0.0.1
set protocols ospf area 0.0.0.0 interface ge-0/0/1.0
set protocols ospf area 0.0.0.0 interface ge-0/0/0.0
set protocols ospf area 0.0.0.0 interface lo0.0

Any more ideas?

Thanks for all the help

Highlighted
Routing
Solution
Accepted by topic author byron.moore
‎10-30-2019 10:29 AM

[ Edited ]
‎10-24-2019 10:52 PM

Hello,

I labbed up Your setup and in order to have multicast pings replied to, You need to enable PIM on the receiver' ingress interface.

PIM-DM should suffice.

IGMP is not enough.

HTH

Thx

Alex

Highlighted
Routing

‎10-30-2019 10:28 AM

Thanks for the reply

and huge thanks for labbing it up and taking a look

I had given up on replicating pings but I will give that a try as soon as I can
IE test next week - I feel like multicasting is still my weakest subject having been unable to verify my configurations

thanks again

Feedback