Routing
Highlighted
Routing

L2VPN Behavior (Kompella)

‎08-18-2011 09:42 PM

Hi Experts, 

Does anyone know about the behavior of L2VPN which used only one STM link from as-bundle??? and what are the methods to change this behvavior or flow of L2vpn so that it load-balance the traffic on STM links from bundle? 

As the scenerio is if a L2vpn which is almost taking one STM bandwidth from bundle with burst type of traffic which effect other important traffic. So what will be the solution/workaround to avoid this situation???

Many Thanks in advance. 

Thanks,

Mehdi

Best Regards,
Mehdi

-Moving on & on-
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Routing

Re: L2VPN Behavior (Kompella)

‎08-18-2011 11:19 PM

Hi,

This is related to mpls hash-key configuration. Check the following link:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos9.6/information-products/topic-collections/config-guide-p...

Regards,
Dumitru Papana
Highlighted
Routing

[ Edited ]
‎08-19-2011 12:19 AM

Hello,

You definitely do NOT want to loadshare L2VPN frames _if_ these are carrying "atm-cell-relay" payload type.

Otherwise, to loadshare on transit LSR/P-router please make sure MPLS hash-key is configured to use 2 labels. BUT - only L2VPN frames from different L2VPN instances can be load-shared. L2VPN frames arriving into same interface/same L2VPN instance on same ingress PE cannot be loadshared on M-series ingress LSR/ingress PE.

You can loadshare L2VPN Ethernet frames on ingress PE on T-series and MX ICHIP - use "family multiservice" hash key.

You can also loadshare L2VPN Ethernet frames on transit LSR/P-router on T-series and MX ICHIP - disable control-word and use "ether-pseudowire" payload type.

And Trio loadshares L2VPN Ethernet frames by default _if_ control-word is disabled. 

HTH

Rgds

Alex 

Please ask Your Juniper account team about Juniper Professional Services offerings.
Juniper PS can design, test & build the network/part of the network as per Your requirements

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Accept as Solution = cool !
Accept as Solution+Kudo = You are a Star !
Highlighted
Routing

[ Edited ]
‎08-19-2011 12:31 AM

Hi Alex,

I was wondering, what's the behavior of the following statement within hash-key configuration:

payload {   

ether-pseudowire;

Could not find a proper explanation.

Regards,
Dumitru Papana
Highlighted
Routing

‎08-19-2011 12:35 AM

Hello,

"payload ether-pseudowire" forces deeper lookup into MPLS frame, beyond configured number of labels, to find Ethernet frame and consider MAC addresses for hash-key calculation. You need to disable control-word.

You don't need this knob on Trio, Trio does this deeper lookup by default. 

HTH

Rgds

Alex 

Please ask Your Juniper account team about Juniper Professional Services offerings.
Juniper PS can design, test & build the network/part of the network as per Your requirements

Highlighted
Routing

‎08-19-2011 12:40 AM

Thank you Alex.

I think this may be the solution for this particular case, as it makes possible load-sharing for the same L2-VPN(of course Ethernet) over aggregated interfaces.  

Regards,
Dumitru Papana
Highlighted
Routing

‎09-03-2011 10:24 AM
Hi,

I understand that "payload ether-pseudowire" is more for a transit case, wherein the transit node doesn't look into the PW packet information.

|<----------L2VPN---------->|

R1-------R2********R3--------R4

Say we have a L2VPN/L2CKT connection between R1 and R4. By default, for a given L2VPN/L2CKT, there wouldn't be any
load-balancing across the aggregated-interface between R2 and R3. In order to have the traffic to be load-balanced across all member links of this aggregated interface, we use "payload ether-pseudowire".

Regards
Surya Prakash
Highlighted
Routing

‎11-04-2011 11:53 AM

hello Experts,

Thanks for your valueable comments and help. We've not tested the command that you've suggested because customer wasn't comfortable with it. Another constraints using this command was the high utilization or traffic of that L2VPN link which starved other QOS classes so we create a separate GIG link on router to entertain the L2VPN traffic.

Many thanks again for such valuable comments and the time.

Best regard

Best Regards,
Mehdi

-Moving on & on-
Highlighted
Routing

‎04-09-2012 09:02 PM

Hi Mehdi and Junipers,

can you share your configuration that using different link and not bundled.

I am testing load share l2vpn traffic accross different gig ethernet link /ECMP(not bundled), and find that the traffic is fill just one interface.

Thanks,

Niko Sianipar

Highlighted
Routing

‎08-28-2012 01:31 AM

Hi Guys,

I have applied below hash-key on MX960 box still load-balacing is not happening. P is MX960(I-CHIP) and PE is M320(H-CHIP). is there anything I need to add.

hash-key {
    family inet {
        layer-3;
        layer-4;
    }
    family mpls {
        label-1;
        label-2;
        label-3;
        payload {
            ether-pseudowire;
            ip;
        }
    }
}

Thanks

Suraj K

Highlighted
Routing

‎10-05-2012 10:07 PM

Hi,

I tried some of the hash-key knob in order to load balance the L2Circuit traffic but still it didn't work.

does someone has any idea ? or we can't load balance traffic in L2VPN ?

Highlighted
Routing

‎10-06-2012 08:21 AM

Hello,

Do you have control-word disabled? Please post "show l2circuit connections detail" output.

Thanks

Alex

Highlighted
Routing

‎10-03-2013 09:10 AM

Hi guys,

Does anyone know the solution for this issue? Is it possible to load-balance l2vpn traffic on an aggregate interface (ae0 to the customer)?  I have applied the hash-key configuration and disable de control-word in the l2vpn but it does´t work.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Javier.

Highlighted
Routing

‎10-03-2013 12:30 PM

Hello,

To load-balance L2VPN on PE-CE LAG, You have to have "family multiservice hash-key" configured

https://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/reference/configuration-statement/family-edit-fo...

HTH

Thanks

Alex

Highlighted
Routing

‎10-03-2013 02:29 PM

Thanks for your reply Alex.

Unfortunately it isn´t work with the multiservice hash.
Here i attach all the configuration of the related items.
Can you give me a hand?

Thanks,
Javier.

Attachments

Highlighted
Routing

‎10-03-2013 07:12 PM

Hello,

It seems that You have MX router with Trio-only linecards, is that correct? I am judging by this line in Your config

network-services enhanced-ip;

If that's true, then "hash-key" does not have any effect on Trio cards.

"enhanced-hash-key" works only for Trio and it's usage is described in D.Hanks book "Juniper MX series" pages 340-344, or here http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.1/topics/reference/configuration-statement/enhanced-ha...

Also, I don't see per-packet LB policy in Your config:

policy-options {
    policy-statement pplb {
        then {
            load-balance per-packet;
        }
    }
}
routing-options {
    forwarding-table {
        export pplb;
    }
}

HTH

Thanks

Alex

Highlighted
Routing

‎10-04-2013 01:12 PM

Alex,

You have the correct answer! I have a J-MX and with enhanced-key works perfectly!.

I didn´t set load-balance in the routing-options because i have 2 uplinks against different P routers in differents locations and this make (maybe) that the packets arrive at the end with a little jitter. However if im wrong, correct me please.

Thank you very much for your help!

Javier.

Highlighted
Routing

‎10-05-2013 04:48 AM

Hello,

@rodriguezsotelo wrote:

I didn´t set load-balance in the routing-options because i have 2 uplinks against different P routers in differents locations and this make (maybe) that the packets arrive at the end with a little jitter. 

Trio LB is little bit more intelligent than ICHIP - it looks into the packet to find IP+L4 headers and attempts to construct same hash-key for packets belonging to same TCP/UDP flow.

Sometimes this fails - for instance, in case when L2VPN carries Ethernet frames with MAC addresses whose 1st nibble starts with 0x4 or 0x6 - then Trio mistakes these for IPv4 and IPv6 packets and wrongly does LB on them.

This can also fail in other situations, like IPIP inside Ethernet inside L2VPN.

Therefore, if You have a situation like above, then You either:

- don't enable forwarding-table policy for L2VPN traffic, or

- change enhanced-hash-key family multiservice to exclude payload from hash,or 

- wait until support for Enthropy label|FAT PW (google for it) comes out.

HTH

Thanks

Alex

Highlighted
Routing

‎10-07-2013 11:36 AM

Alex,

I will consider your tips!

Thanks for your help!.

Best regards,

Javier.

Feedback