Routing

last person joined: 3 days ago 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
  • 1.  Layer 2 VLAN and MPLS on MX

Posted 01-16-2018 01:39

Hi,

Apologies for asking so many questions. Dealing with Juniper at a lower level than I have before is different.... thanks for the patience:

I have an MX240 that will have one interface facing an SRX security device. One interface connected to another MX240. One interface facing another MX240 (configured as an LNS) and there will be an interface facing the next transit ISPs Ethernet core where customers will be presented.

The Transit ISP will be passing customers to us based on VLAN. One of the tasks of this project is to get both the Core MX240s configured for Layer 2 VLAN traffic. Okay, so, on a QFX and an EX this is pretty straightforward, but on an MX I am a little lost. Even with the documentation.

I have MPLS configured throughout the Core but not on the PE Customer/Transit interfaces and I have configured, currently, LDP ( we may need to move to RSVP).... As the system is not yet on site but is at my location I can complete various tests with no issues.... so, my question is as follows (again, apologies in advance if this seems a rather basic question) ..... how do I get those VLANs (16,000 customers plus) routed through the network please?

As an add on..... due to cost reasons, the two core MX240s are not running in a JVC and the convergence, in the event of a failure, will occur on the transit ISPs site and will switch from one core to the other so replication is required.

Thank you for any help ....

• 2.  RE: Layer 2 VLAN and MPLS on MX
    Best Answer

Posted 01-16-2018 05:08

Hi,

"One interface facing another MX240 (configured as an LNS) and there will be an interface facing the next transit ISPs Ethernet core where customers will be presented"?

Just to clarify.. is your MX240 setup as L2TP LAC? and you want basically tunnel your 16k customer/subscribers to other of MX240 which L2TP LNS?

• 3.  RE: Layer 2 VLAN and MPLS on MX

Posted 01-16-2018 13:50

Hi Karan,

Apologies for the late response. I think I have figured out what the requirements are. But to anseer your question, no. The LNS is one side of the network and is for the pppoa clients. That is the wholesale side. The MX240 I mention is the side that we will have the transits and the Ethernet presented core of the next provider. They will present us with customers within a VLAN. It seems that the configuration is more basic then I first believed. We simply set up the seprate units and apply the VLAN that the customer will be coming in on. So, I think, basically as follows:

set interface xe-0/1/2 unit 200 vlan-id 200   ----- one customer

set interface xe-0/1/2 unit 300 vlan-id 300  ----- next customer

etc etc

At least, something like that anyway. Unlike a switch where a forwarding port needs to be on the same VLAN, it appears that a router will strip the header leaving the IP Header open for IGP route transport. For replication, the other MX240 at the other site will be configured the same as the LMI will change of there is a fault...... Thank you for your help and will close as resolved.