Routing
Highlighted
Routing

MULTICAST: need both pim rp autorp ANNOUNCE & DISCOVERY

‎11-19-2017 03:54 PM

Hello,

I have good experience with multicast in Cisco.  Most of the the multicast features are easy to use in Junos. But I am having an issue with implementing a juniper network for a customer. 

The issue is that this  customer has many RP's and Mapping-Agents throughout its different sites.   I need to be able to transparently pass announce (rp) and discovery (mapping-agent) messages.

It appears that junos only allows one or the other for Auto-RP.  Is it possible to allow multiple RP's and mapping-agents on the end-point customer connections with PIM neighbors?

set protocols pim dense-groups 224.0.1.39/32
set protocols pim dense-groups 224.0.1.40/32
set protocols pim rp auto-rp discovery <--- and announce ???
set protocols pim interface all mode sparse-dense
set protocols pim interface fxp0.0 disable

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Routing

Re: MULTICAST: need both pim rp autorp ANNOUNCE & DISCOVERY

‎11-19-2017 04:26 PM

Interesting.  I walked away from my lab for 20 minutes. When I came back, all of my RP's were registered with the mapping-agent.  So I think that DISCOVERY is sufficient for both autorp annoucements (rp's) and discovery (mapping-agent).

Can a JUNOS expert verify this for me?  Thank you.

Highlighted
Routing

‎12-26-2017 01:25 AM

Hi,

As per our documentation, here is the implementation of discovery, announce and mapping agent:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/configuration-statement/auto-rp-e...

announce—Configure the routing device to listen only for mapping packets and also to advertise itself if it is an RP.

discovery—Configure the routing device to listen only for mapping packets.

mapping—Configures the routing device to announce, listen for and generate mapping packets, and announce that the routing device is eligible to be an RP.

So if you are looking for a router to be able to listen to other RP announements and also capable of advertising itself as RP, it is better to configure it as mapping.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/mcast-pim-auto-rp.html

Hope this helps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post was helpful, please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Kudos are always appreciated!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps

If this post was helpful, please mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Kudos are always appreciated!
Highlighted
Routing

‎12-26-2017 09:08 AM

Thank you Sarathirao for your reply.  Unfortunately none of those three options gives what I am looking for.

We do not want the juniper router to participate as an RP or an Mapping-Agent (MA).

We only need the Juniper router to be a pass-through for all multicast messaging for the end-points.  

Scenario: The customer network we are working with has a spider-web of RP's and Mapping-Agents. It is unpredictable for us to choose where each RP and MA will exist in the future.  What this means is that, we need all customer auto-rp messages (RP/MA) to be passed-through to all other points.

They are running their own multicast network.  We only want to provide the transport across mpls (MVPN) for this.  Unfortunately, I only have the options that you note in your message. 

Any other possibilities to make this work?  Thank you.

Feedback