Routing
Highlighted
Routing

MVPN interoperability -- Cisco and Juniper

‎05-18-2017 03:17 PM

Hello,

I need help with connecting Cisco and Juniper PE's for MVPN.

Currently in my lab, I have full L3VPN connectivity between all of the CE's  (behind Juniper and Cisco PE's).  No problem.

Also, I have full MVPN connectivity between the sister PE's for Cisco and separately between the Juniper PE's.   No problems setting up Cisco-to-Cisco connectivity or Junos-to-Junos PE connectivity.

*ISIS

*LDP/MPLS

*L3VPN BGP

Now I need to connect the different vendor configurations. Cisco-to-Juniper.

Easy way to do this?   I cannot be the first one to go through this.

Mark

P.S.  This is not Draft-Rosen.    It is NG-MVPN.   Again, I have no issues between Juniper devices. Just need to connect them through mpls to the Cisco setup.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Routing

Re: MVPN interoperability -- Cisco and Juniper

‎05-18-2017 10:07 PM

Hi

Not an easy topic

therefore my answer: It DEPENDS

MVPN there are around 20 different possibilities for setup

signalling (BGP or LDP), autodiscovery (yes/no) core tree protocol (PIM,RSVP,LDP), I-PMSI or s-PMSI., receiver-site-only,.....

so if setup parameters are equal then yes change the RT and let them interop, if setup is different you could do an INTER-AS-approach , connecting one net to the other via "external connections" ( outside the MPLS/VPN domain) and connecting the RPs via MSDP.

You will not easily find an expert on MVPN who knows Cisco AND Juniper but there is at least one Smiley Happy

regards

Alexander

Highlighted
Routing

Re: MVPN interoperability -- Cisco and Juniper

‎05-20-2017 06:16 AM

Have you seen this sample configuration for the Junos side?

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/mcast-mbgp-extranets.html

The protocols are reasonably standard so if the Cisco nodes also support MVPN and the signaling protocols I don't see why it would not work.

Steve Puluka BSEET - Juniper Ambassador
IP Architect - DQE Communications Pittsburgh, PA (Metro Ethernet & ISP)
http://puluka.com/home
Feedback