Routing
Highlighted
Routing

Multicast and meeting online

‎08-17-2017 01:01 PM

I am not sure if meeting online(for example, Skype meeting application etc) is using multicast mechanism. If it functions based on multicast, why do we need to configure multicast at layer 3? Actually via Skype, we also can send viedo to specific user. Anyone like to answer my question? thank you

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Routing

Re: Multicast and meeting online

‎08-20-2017 10:06 PM

Hello,

@eesunj wrote:

I am not sure if meeting online(for example, Skype meeting application etc) is using multicast mechanism. 

Skype does not use IP multicast and never did. It used to be at least partially peer-to-peer but no more. Peer-to-peer is not IP multicast either.

@eesunj wrote:

If it functions based on multicast, why do we need to configure multicast at layer 3? 

Typically, on wide wild internet, You only configure IP multicast from/towards trusted partners who mutually agreed with You to send/receive multicast. And Skype users do not have to know anything about Your multicast partners because Skype is not IP multicast. There are plenty of networks out there who have zero IP multicast partners but their users are happily Skyping left, right and center.

@eesunj wrote:

Actually via Skype, we also can send viedo to specific user. 

And the point is? Sending Skype video to a user does not utilize IP multicast. 

HTH

Thx

Alex

Please ask Your Juniper account team about Juniper Professional Services offerings.
Juniper PS can design, test & build the network/part of the network as per Your requirements

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Accept as Solution = cool !
Accept as Solution+Kudo = You are a Star !
Feedback