Routing

last person joined: yesterday 

Ask questions and share experiences about ACX Series, CTP Series, MX Series, PTX Series, SSR Series, JRR Series, and all things routing, including portfolios and protocols.
Expand all | Collapse all

Multiple OSPF processes

• 1.  Multiple OSPF processes

Posted 06-30-2008 02:28

Hi,

I'm pretty new with Juniper routers, but have been working for a long time with Cisco routers. I kindly ask to all forum partecipants how I can, as in Cisco routers, activate two (or more) different OSPF processes on the router. In Cisco routers there the concept of process-ID which I couldn't find in Juniper routers.

I tried using different routing instances on my J-series routers following some ideas in the JUNOS Routing Configuration Guide but I didn't obtain the expected results. I don't whether it can depend on JUNOS release which is a little bit old (7.1). 

Can anybody give me an idea ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Tiziano

• 2.  RE: Multiple OSPF processes
    Best Answer

Posted 06-30-2008 06:29

Hi Tiziano,

routing-instances are definitely the way to go.  You can create a routing-instance for each of the OSPF "processes" you want.  Each of those routing-instances will have associated interfaces.  You can then configure OSPF within the routing-instance and associate the interfaces with the OSPF area.  Then you should be able to see the neighbours with...

show ospf neighbor instance $your-instance-name$

...and the routing table for your instance with... 

show route table $your-instance-name$.inet.0

You may want to exchange routing information with the main routing-instance by using rib-groups.  You can do the following...

routing-options {

rib-groups {

my-rib {

import-ribs [ my-instance.inet.0 inet.0 ];

}

}

}

routing-instances {

my-instance {

interface so-0/0/0.0;

interface ge-1/0/0.0; 

rib-group my-rib;

protocols {

ospf {

area 0.0.0.0 {

interface so-0/0/0.0;

interface ge-1/0/0.0;

}

}

}

}

}

I hope that gives you some pointers. 

Rgds,

Guy 

• 3.  RE: Multiple OSPF processes

Posted 07-01-2008 02:12

Hi Guy,

thanks a lot for your answer. As a matter of fact, as I wrote in my post, I tried the way you suggested but probably I made some configuration error or my JUNOS release (7.1) was too old. I will try again on some router with latest release. 

I have just one more question. Reading the example on JUNOS Routing Configuration Guide, I noted that there was no reference to the "instance-type". Also, in your suggestion there no mention on that. Is there a default "instance-type" ? 

Thanks a lot for your kind cooperation.

Tiziano

• 4.  RE: Multiple OSPF processes

Posted 07-01-2008 02:18

Hi Tiziano,

You're certainly right that 7.1 is pretty old code.  I'd recommend going with the newest code that will fit/run on your hardware.  The requirements for the flash drive size went up to 1GB with 9.1 so that rules out a lot of older boxes.  However, I managed to run 9.0 on 256MB on a J2320.

Yes, there is a default instance-type (no-forwarding).  This is actually the type you need for the behaviour you're looking for.  It simply creates a separate RIB but you have to leak the info (using rib-groups) into inet.0 in order to forward based on the info.  You are still able to maintain separate distribution of the info in the routing-instance (as long as you don't leak info back from inet.0 😉 by maintaining separate neighbours on the interfaces associated with your routing-instance.

Rgds,

Guy 

• 5.  RE: Multiple OSPF processes

Posted 07-01-2008 02:29

Hi Guy,

I thank you very much for your prompt, clear and exhaustive answers and suggestions.

I have a couple of new J-series routers equipped with release 9.0. I wil try on them and let you know.

Regards,

Tiziano 

• 6.  RE: Multiple OSPF processes

Posted 07-01-2008 06:10

Hi Guy,

I tried your solution and now everything seems to work as I expected. On a router (say, Router-A) I created a routing instance and an OSPF adjacency with another router (say, Router-B). Also, on Router-B I created a normal OSPF adjacency with another router (Router-C). On Router-B I passed routes from routing table "instance-name.inet.0" to table inet.0. To let this routes distributed via OSPF to Router-C (to emulate what Cisco routers do) I used a simple routing policy:

[edit policy-options policy-statement RED-OSPF]

from protocol ospf;

then accept;

and everything worked fine. Router-B generated e few Type 5 LSA to distribute routes, which where received by Router-C.

Do you know any better way to do it ?

Thanks a lot for your kind cooperation.

Regards.

Tiziano

• 7.  RE: Multiple OSPF processes

Posted 07-01-2008 06:23

Hi Tiziano,

Do you need to actually redistribute manually between the routing-instances?  If you set the rib-groups with the import-ribs [ instance-name.inet.0 inet.0 ] on Router B, then you should see the prefixes from instance-name.inet.0 on Router B also in inet.0.

Rgds,

Guy 

• 8.  RE: Multiple OSPF processes

Posted 07-01-2008 06:49

Hi Guy,

as a matter of fact I see Router-A prefixes also on inet.0, thanks to the import from "instance-name.inet.0" to inet.0. To let the explanation simpler, here is my configuration:

[edit routing-options]
    tt@ROUTER-B# show
    rib-groups {
        AAA {
            import-rib [ OSPF-CE.inet.0 inet.0 ];
        }
    }
    router-id 192.168.0.111;

[edit routing-instances]
    tt@ROUTER-B# show
    OSPF-CE {
        interface fe-0/0/1.11;
        protocols {
            ospf {
                rib-group AAA;
                area 0.0.0.111 {
                    interface fe-0/0/1.11;  #adjacency to ROUTER-A#
                }
            }
        }
    }

[edit protocols ospf]
    tt@ROUTER-B# show
    area 0.0.0.11 {
        interface fe-0/0/0.0; #adjacency to ROUTER-C#
        interface lo0.0 {
            passive;
        }
    }

With this configuration I see prefixes coming from ROUTER-A to both the inet.0 and OSPF-CE.inet.0 routing tables, but I do not see them on routing table inet.0 of ROUTER-C. As a matter of fact I could not see any Type 5 LSA on OSPF database of ROUTER-B.

Adding the following configuration:

[edit policy-options policy-statement RED-OSPF]
    tt@ROUTER-B# show
    from protocol ospf;
    then accept;

[edit protocols ospf]
    tt@ROUTER-B# show
    export RED-OSPF;

the prefixes from ROUTER-A were announced to ROUTER-C via Type 5 LSA.

Therefore I think that some kind of redistribution is needed. What do you think about ? Is there something I am missing ?

Again thanks for your kindness.

Regards,

Tiziano

• 9.  RE: Multiple OSPF processes

Posted 07-01-2008 07:05

Hi Tiziano,

Try doing the following...

set routing-options interface-routes rib-group inet AAA

set routing-instances OSPF-CE routing-options interface-routes rib-group inet AAA

That will put the interface prefixes for both of the routing-instances into the RIBs in rib-group AAA.

Rgds,

Guy 

• 10.  RE: Multiple OSPF processes

Posted 07-01-2008 07:20

Guy,

I tried but it did not work !!!

Bye,

Tiziano

• 11.  RE: Multiple OSPF processes

Posted 07-01-2008 07:41

Hi Tiziano,

Hmm, I think then that the no-forwarding routing-instance only uses the rib-group to import the routing information into the local RIB but it is not eligible to be passed on unless, as you discovered, it is redistributed as a type 5 into the main inet.0.  The other alternative is to have your other routing-instance universally and then use rib-groups everywhere to transfer the info to the local inet.0 rib.

A third option would be to use a virtual-router (or logical-router on J-series, which don't support virtual-routers, IIRC) and have your two 'processes' in different logical-routers.  If you then create a physical connection between the two, you could create a direct adjacency from between the two processes.  However, that would lead to routing information from the main inet.0 being leaked back into instance.inet.0

Rgds,

Guy 

• 12.  RE: Multiple OSPF processes

Posted 07-01-2008 08:07

OK Guy,

thank you for your suggestions. J-series routers do not support logical routers. They do support "virtual-router". As a matter of fact, when you define a routing instance, there is the possibility to choose the  "instance-type virtual-router".

I will give a closer look to this problem, for the moment we have a solution. Refinements will be left for the future.

I thank you again for your precious help.

Greetings from Italy,

Tiziano

• 13.  RE: Multiple OSPF processes

Posted 07-01-2008 08:10

Doh!  I always get those the wrong way round.  Thanks for reminding me and making sure that my mistake isn't perpetuated on the list 🙂

Rgds,

Guy 

• 14.  RE: Multiple OSPF processes

Posted 04-25-2012 06:36

Hi,

Am planning to implement a setup with multiple ospf process in MX80 router.

I have already created one ospf process with ID#10 on this router.

I want to create new process with ID#20 with area-nssa and import the routes into inet.0 and also redistribute the routes IBGP to advertise the routes to other router.

Hope we can configure new process ID#20 creating routing instance and define domain-id #20.

Can anyone share me configuration for this above requirement.

Also pls tell me can i create this new process when am already running normal ospf process in this router??

Thanks...

• 15.  RE: Multiple OSPF processes

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 01-09-2024 03:04
    This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous

Hi Erdem,

I'm not clear about "rib-groups". I think using "instance-type virtual-router" would be easier to match this requirement. Here's my output config without "rib-group":

root@vMX1# show routing-instances OSPF_Process_0    
    instance-type virtual-router;
    interface ge-0/0/0.0;
    interface ge-0/0/1.0;
    protocols {
        ospf {
            area 0.0.0.120 {
                interface ge-0/0/0.0 {
                    interface-type p2p;
                }
            }
            area 0.0.0.130 {
                interface ge-0/0/1.0 {
                    interface-type p2p;
                }
            }
        }
    }

[edit]
    root@vMX1# show routing-instances OSPF_Process_1  
    instance-type virtual-router;
    interface ge-0/0/0.1;
    interface ge-0/0/1.1;
    protocols {
        ospf {
            area 0.0.0.121 {
                interface ge-0/0/0.1 {
                    interface-type p2p;
                }
            }
            area 0.0.0.131 {
                interface ge-0/0/1.1 {
                    interface-type p2p;
                }
            }
        }
    }

[edit]
    root@vMX1# run show ospf neighbor instance OSPF_Process_0        
    Address          Interface              State     ID               Pri  Dead
    192.168.0.21     ge-0/0/0.0             Full      192.168.0.21     128    37
    192.168.0.31     ge-0/0/1.0             Full      192.168.0.31     128    38

[edit]
    root@vMX1# run show ospf neighbor instance OSPF_Process_1    
    Address          Interface              State     ID               Pri  Dead
    192.168.1.21     ge-0/0/0.1             Full      192.168.1.21     128    34
    192.168.1.31     ge-0/0/1.1             Full      192.168.1.31     128    36

• 16.  RE: Multiple OSPF processes

Posted 05-06-2012 23:52

Hi Tizius, look at the following post about multiple ospf process. This is a translation example from a Cisco configuration to a Juniper configuration. This works, i test this in lab. If you are a Cisco guy will understand better the ios and junos configuration translation.

http://forums.juniper.net/t5/IOS-to-Junos-I2J-Tips-Contest/Multiple-OSPF-instances/td-p/137233